I've XPSP2 and Firefox. I'm hopeful someone will have solution suggestions that will preclude a trip to the repair shop. And while I can use it, it's buggy to have it freeze on me and restart so reluctantly. And it's hell being without a computer!!!

And at the moment everything is fine. I can browse the net, get/send email, call up and use any program, Explorer, works just fine, I can access the bios and the registry.

HOWEVER:

I just now discovered all my (daily) restore points were gone. And when I highlight something, my computer freezes. No mouse. No keyboard. If I play with the reset button, it usually partially reboots and then sits there for at least 2 minutes. Sometimes the power switch will shut it down and then restart it - in which case it may boot normally or arrive at a black screen and sit there. At other times the power switch has no effect. At others, if I hit reset and then, when it stops in the middle of boot, the power switch [B]WILL[/U] result in a normal boot. Btw I had begun this letter earlier, but things froze in the middle of it; so far it has not done that--knock on wood. Sometimes I get a screen: "We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully. Use last known _____________that worked." I told it "Use the last known whatever it was" and it booted normally. One time when it was working just fine, I left it sitting for 1-2 hours and when I returned, it had frozen.

?????