Thread: MSO 2007 - HELP (Plea from a friend)

Titanium Member TZ Veteran Denyse's Avatar

MSO 2007 - HELP (Plea from a friend)

A good friend had asked me where she might get some help and assistance with a problem concerning Microsoft Office 2007 installation. I gave her the name of a couple of boards ( this one included ) but that is another story. She asked on one board and can get no where, and has pleaded with me for some help. I am posting it here, with the hope that the great people here can help out.

Denyse, I did as you said and asked this quesiton on NEOWIN, but only got a dumb reply that it had to be there. Would you please ask some of your contacts for me?

Thankie... Holly.

This is the message she posted.
    I just downloaded the latest Beta of MS Office. When I attempt to install it onto my NEW Computer, it tells me that it is a Beta (like I don't know that) and it cannot upgrade and install the program onto my computer.

I never had MS Office on this computer, to my best knowledge, as it is new. I first called DELL from where I bought it, and they told me that they never install beta software onto a new computer.

I have a lot of stuff on it that I need, so I do not want to send it back to them.

What can I do to get the computer to let me install Office?

Now, I did try to install Internet Explorer 7 a few times, and each time, it crashed out. But that is the only Microsoft product other than Windows Professional XP with SP 2 that came on the computer.

Please help me if you can.

Thanks
    She said she got a message that it had to have been installed and removed or bundled or what ever, and just too bad, more or less. She then posted this follow-up; to no responses

There is no trace that I can find in the registry for OFFICE anywhere. There is no directory for Microsoft office either.

Can anyone PLEASE give me an idea of how to search this out and remove a trace of something that is not there?

Or is there a better board to go to and ask?
    Can anyone help her, or tell me where she might go to get help?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    D, PM me about this.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Has she got "Microsoft Works" (thats Works, not Word) installed on her machine?

"Works" is a cut down version of Office.

She may need to uninstall that first because it could be conflicting with the Office 2007 install.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Is this a similar error to Piaqt's BETA office 12 installation? I remember there being some registry fixes to be made... let us know the fix, as some people will be looking to upgrade / use Office 2007 until Feb next year for free

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I looked at her machine, she has no Microsoft Works, Word, or Office on her machine.

Well, she didn't. I installed Office 2003 onto her system, and she says it works great.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Yeah, sometimes, taking one step back to a stable working evironment is the best solution... we've seen some examples of people rushing to use IE7 beta for critical work, ofcourse its not going to work (Murphy's Law?) ...

Good to hear that Office 2k3 is still going strong! I like it

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I found out a while ago, the reason why IE7 is so secure, and will keep out all trojans, etc...

IT WILL NOT INSTALL ON A LOT OF COMPUTERS!...

I have one of the lucky ones; that it will not work on, thus I am totally protected from IE Bugs, Holes, and Problems.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rik
    D, PM me about this.
    hmmmmm............ ......cluck, cluck.....

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

shuddup d00d

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    personally I think rev has it pointed down. It might not be installed now but could have in the past. I would personally uninstall Office 2k3 search the registry for works and office after deleting any keys I would then run regclean to clean out the registry for mislinked or dupe keys. delete all windows\temp and c:\temp then try to reinstall it again.