Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Noisy fan - [FIXED]

Bronze Member

Noisy fan - [FIXED]

Hello

It appears as if the fan (at least I think it's the fan) in my CPU is making a lot of noise. It doesn't overheat. What should I do?

Thanks.

Loubee

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    is it the CPU fan or case fan....either way I would replace it before it goes and costs alot more repairing it.Nowadays fans are very cheap and I would just replace it.

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    is it the CPU fan or case fan....either way I would replace it before it goes and costs alot more repairing it.Nowadays fans are very cheap and I would just replace it.
    How will I know whether it's the CPU fan or case fan? Is it easy to replace myself and are most of them the same?

Can anyone recommend cheap websites to buy this in the UK please.

Thanks

Bronze Member
    Actually I am just guessing it's the fan, the CPU is making a loud whirring noise when I switch it on.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    gonna have to open the case and I personally can feel the case/cpu fan and if its vibrating more so then the rest I can usually tell which one it is. Tell you the truth I use www.newegg.com for my online shopping not sure if they ship to the UK, but for just a fan you're probably better off getting it from a local dealer for under 10 bucks.

hey rev can you help for any UK sites for loubee.

Agreeded, once you physically open the case you will be able to identify which fan is making the noise.

There are several possiblilties

Fan on the case
    Fan on the heat sink(processor)
    Fan in the power supply
    Fan on the video card

ect...
    Last edited by Hawkers; June 15th, 2006 at 22:15 PM. Reason: spelling

You can always stop them with your fingers only for max 1 sec tho and see which one it is, but get it replaced asap

Usually, the smaller and/or fastest spinning fan would make the most noise. If not, check the optical drive. A spinning optical drive may sound like a noisy fan.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Bronze Member
    Oh dear. Is it easy to change a fan? Actually, having said that, it's only me who is guessing it is the fan... it could be anything. When I switch the PC on, it doesn't make a noise and then after say 30mins it makes a noise like an engine revving up.

You don't seem to happy with the thought of opening your case up. Don't worry it's no big deal. Just have a look at the back of it and you will see a few screws running down both vertical edges. Look through the air vents on either side of the case and one side should look dark - that's the side your motherboard is located - therefore its the other side you wish to access. Remove the screws and slide the relevant side panel forwards and it will release from the locking flanges. Do this while your PC is running - again don't worry you won't break anything. When you remove it the noise levels will increase. OK look inside and locate the fans - probably at top and bottom of the rear plate of your box situated over the vented area you can see externally. Just have a good look (and listen) to the fans themselves - any obvious differences? It's likely that given your description you should be able to pinpoint the problem fan by ear.

If so, shut PC down and note how the fan is attached to the wiring loom for future reference. Remove power cable plug from loom and unscrew fan from chassis. You could try cleaning it up as I'll bet a tenner it's full of gunge, but it sounds to me as if the bearing is going so I'd replace it. Any computer shop will have them - a little local shop will be cheaper than PC World or Dixons - but it should cost less than 10.

Re fit new fan and plug it in to loom and switch on. Away you go (hopefully). Give it a try - you know you wanna. Good luck

Tanglefoot provided you good instructions for changing a fan. As he stated, it is easy and it is not expensive to change a case fan. My only problem is that we don't know for sure that it is the case fan.

My suggestion is to remove the side panel and position the case where you can easily see inside. Turn the computer on and inspect it with a flashlight. Pay close attention to all of the fans. If a case fan is not working, you have your answer. The CPU fan is working because you can boot and use the computer. If it was the problem the CPU would have burned out the first time it happened.

The next time you hear the noise, grab the flashlight and check to see what is different.

There are only a few things that can make the noise you describe. They are:

1. Case fans.
    2. CPU fan.
    3. Power Supply fan.
    4. Hard Drives and CDROM or DVD drives.
    5. And a fan on some high end video cards.

Good luck with your repair.

Source for fans: http://www.misco.co.uk/categories/~275~/Cooling.htm
    Last edited by efc; June 24th, 2006 at 13:56 PM.

Bronze Member
    You're right... I'm not happy about opening up the case... I think lack of space and the fear of knocking something over! Anyway given the in-depth instructions I've been given, I think I ought to!

Thanks guys .

Hmmm Had a rethink on this. 'like an engine reving up'.
    [efc - if BIOS detects an overheat on CPU can it chanel more power thru mobo and spin up processor fan. Similarily can PCI card do same with GPU ? I know mine can't but my sys is ancient]

LouBee - have you attempted our suggestion as yet? Any feedback for us? If your still wary of trying, do you know someone locally who could help? It seems pointless (and expensive) to take your case to a dealer and ask them to do it.

If you bring it up to Manchester I'll have a look - LOL

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanglefoot View Post
    Hmmm Had a rethink on this. 'like an engine reving up'.
    [efc - if BIOS detects an overheat on CPU can it chanel more power thru mobo and spin up processor fan. Similarily can PCI card do same with GPU ? I know mine can't but my sys is ancient]

LouBee - have you attempted our suggestion as yet? Any feedback for us? If your still wary of trying, do you know someone locally who could help? It seems pointless (and expensive) to take your case to a dealer and ask them to do it.

If you bring it up to Manchester I'll have a look - LOL
    I haven't tried it yet, as at the moment, it's normal noise. It's odd, it can make loud revving noises for days and then just go back to normal. In a way, I want it to make the noise again, so I can check, but in another, I'm VERY glad it doesn't!

Why don't you come down to London for a laff .

They laugh in London !! Good god it must have changed since I lived there. Car broke yesterday so I'm stuck in the rain capital of Britain