Thread: Replacing Optical Drive on 7410GX?

Replacing Optical Drive on 7410GX?

Hello, I'm new here to the forums. I would like to replace the optical drive in my notebook. It is a Gateway 7410GX. It's stopped allowing me to burn cd's, everytime I try to burn a cd in any program it tells me there is an error and ruins the disc. The drive spins then slows down, and repeats it until finally the error pops up. I called gateway tech support and they say they don't have instructions on how to remove the drive and replace it, and they also say they don't have any drives to send me.

The reason I'm trying to replace the drive is because the firmware/driver updates are no where to be found. In the hardware profile it says the drive is a Slimtype COMBO LSC-24082K. I've found a driver for a Lite-On model of the same model number but when I try to install it, the computer displays an error message saying it doesn't recognize the device. The Lite-On model is also an external model.

In any event, I was wondering how invasive it might be to replace the drive and if so how to do it, if anyone could help me that would be great.

P.S. The case is manufactured by Arima - it appears to be a "Shadow" model, if that helps at all

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I put a CDRW/DVD combo drive in my laptop. It wasn't that difficult but I had a repair manual that I got from Compaq. The manual showed the locations of all screws and made dismantling the thing much easier.

If you have some basic knowledge and think you can get it apart and back together again, then why not.

I would assume you have to remove the keyboard and bottom plastic to get to the drive. The drive should come out with 2-4 screws (plus the ribbon cable. *some of these are zero force types and they suck.)

I did a quick search for a manual at the gateway site:

http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/...Z/4146nv.shtml

However a similar model laptop *7100 showed better results:

http://support.gateway.com/s/Manuals/Mobile/8511184.pdf

That shows exactly how to replace the optical drive step by step.

Just make sure you get a drive that is compatible, otherwise you'd be like me using a cutter knife to trim the bezel to fit and then having to solder some of the connections to get it to work with the ribbon cable.

Definitely not for the Faint of Heart. I've had 4 laptops apart and got them back together in proper working order, but it's not at all like working on a PC. Insulating the 3 different layers, not stressing wires, etc. I've always needed to grow a 3rd hand. Take your time. DRB

"Will Golf for Food"

Thank you

Thanks a lot for everyone's help, I ended up figuring it out on my own last night that it was two screws just under the front plate of the drive. Luckily I didn't have to do anything to invasive it was just two screws and it popped out. I did check out the manuals that you had suggested and it just confirmed what I had done was correct. I do have one other question though.

Are all "slim" drives the same, is it a kind of hardware format like ATX where all slim drives will fit if they are in fact "slim" drivesl. If so that makes my jom easier as I can just order the part online, but if not, I'm kind of screwed into looking for a good return policy. Again thanks for all your help

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Hi Geken,welcome to TZ.Yes,all slim drives are interchangeable.I had the same question when I changed out my cd rom drive in my Acer for a dvd cdrw combo unit.A vendor I use confirmed that all the brands he sold would work.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zipp51
    Hi Geken,welcome to TZ.Yes,all slim drives are interchangeable.I had the same question when I changed out my cd rom drive in my Acer for a dvd cdrw combo unit.A vendor I use confirmed that all the brands he sold would work.
    The one thing you have to remember is the bezel, it may or may not be interchangeable... also I had a situation where I had to solder the ribbon slot a bit to get my drive to work... but I think that might just have been the drive I selected.

As far as form factor is concerned I believe they are almost all the same.