Thread: Need a little help with XP home

Need a little help with XP home

Hey guys,Im trying to help out a friend of mine long distance in resolving an issue.Yesterday she discovered she has a virus of some sort called mydoom (i have heard this name before) it was discovered when it automatically tried to send itself via MSN messenger to one of her contacts on her MSN list.Since yesterday she has encounteed two blue screen errors and is trying to find out what they are.They read as follows
    ----------------
    win32k.sys-adress BF803F9 base at BF 800000 DateStamp 4341dcff
    ----------------
    nv4-disp11 adress BF9C2213 base at BF9B8000 DateStamp 3eb2f82b page_fault_in_nonpaged area

Hardware specs of the PC are-
    Fujitsu Siemens PC
    Windows XP Home edition Service Pack 1
    AMD athlon XP 2600 2.08 GHz
    512 MB Ram
    Nvidia Geforce FX 5200
    Soundmax intergrated audio

She has AVG/Avast antivirus both of which didnt find the virus.And now it seems she gets errors with AVG as well.Any suggestions would be appreciated and if any more info is needed feel free to let me know.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    i would download the stinger app from I believe mcafee scan it in safe mode and get rid of the virus first.

Thanks phish,I will tell her to try that and see what turns up

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    make sure she updates the antivirus program with the latest definitions, that is an old virus and should be detected/cleaned etc by most defs by now... Not sure if it had a stealth mode (ie, hides when scanned or disables the scanner )

But online scanning is good. OR you can get the mydoom remover from the Symantec website.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Hey guys,
    Thanks for the suggestions.After much talking her through the problem it is now solved.The issue first came from the fact that she actually had 3 antivirus programs installed all of which seemed to cause conflict with each other.I talked her through removing them all then had her run the Stinger app which got rid not only of mydoom but also of one called sasser or something similar.Then had her install the latest avast 4 and virus defs.All seems to be working now again.

Her PC was really going insane.So far so good though.Makes me wonder how long that pesky bugger was in there considering it's so old.

I have one final question that is somewhat unrelated but may be related to XP.I was attempting to connect to her PC via remote assistance tool in XP to help but for some reason i can not connect.She can connect to my PC perfectly fine which is what has me a bit confused.Could it be due to the fact that im using Xp pro SP2 and she is using XP home SP1?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    possibly her XP firewall is set not to allow incoming support connections?

Hey rik,That was the first thing i checked.I even disabled my firewall and had her disable hers in attempt to get it working with no luck.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    you need to allow users to connect. rt click my computer and go to remote. then put a check in both the boxes. from there you can use RDP to connect via her IP address.

Hey again Phish,I checked out my settings and both of the options for Allowing Remote assistance ande incoming are both checked.But still the same issue it seems.I read online it could be because of my routers Upnp being eneabled so i tried disabling it but still the same issue.Strange indeed.

Bypass the router and see if that works.

Hey rik,
    Thats gonna be a bit of a problem.My router/DSL modem are built in one piece.Its a Westell Versalink 327W.

mmm, yup can't do that. Same setup for your friend as well?

Nope her setup is straight from her DSL modem to PC since she only has a single PC.