Thread: Windows Update

Windows Update

Ok Guys hope you can help me here.

I have XP home and when I try to use windows update it says my date and time are out of sync with a certificate and gives err 0x80072F8F.

I have done all what microsoft recomends, i.e

Made sure date and time are set correctly

Re registerd the 4 dll's it says to do

and also made sure that check for server certificate revocation is de selected.

None of this made any diff, can someone please help me.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Check that your BIOS date and time is correct.

To get into the BIOS setup, restart your machine and during the boot hold down the Del key.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Yeah checked that one mate, it was fine, its on a toshiba laptop by the way my desktop is fine

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    try going into the internet options under content then certs. then clear the ssl state and go into the certs button and remove them all.

if that doesnt work go to your services and stop the update and background intelligent service. Once those services are stopped you can go to c:\windows and rename the folder software distribution. I also remove the Wuwebcontrol class object from the internet options>>>settings>>>View objects and just right click and delete the active x control. After that you can usually go back to the windows update site and run the updates like usual. I do this for my clients when they have update issues and seems to work pretty good.

^^ Hi, thanks for the reply but you say to rename the folder sofware distrubution but what do i rename it to? also when i deleted all the certificates the internet did not work at all, had to do a restore point to get it fixed again.

I can find the background Intelligent Service but not the update service

and I dont know where you mean by this internet options>>>settings>>>View objects
    Last edited by MartyW; June 15th, 2006 at 20:56 PM.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    He's referring to the one under "Temporary Internet Files" I believe.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    rename the software distro to whatever Xsoftware distro whoops I guess just del the cert in question.
    I rename stuff instead of del and when its working then I go back and delete. the software disto folder is where the windows updates caches everything. Sometimes the files get corrupt and wont allow you to update again so by renaming it it will rebuild the folder from scratch.

^^ Wouldnt let me rename or delete the directory mate, prob coz i could find the other service to stop, and I dont know which cert is causing the problem