Thread: Start-up problem solved by switching graphics card

Start-up problem solved by switching graphics card

A couple months ago, I shut the computer down once, and when I tried to turn it back on, it made 3 beeps and that's all, a black screen. When I tried replacing the graphics card, the ATI Radeon 9600 courtesy of FastGame LOL, with my old GeForce 2, it worked. So I assumed the poor ATI had passed away

Fast-forward 2 months... I turned it off the other day, I believe it was the first time I completely shut it down again since the last incident I talked about. And when I wanted to boot again, the same 3 beeps...etc.

I was out of my mind Not sure why I thought about trying this. Got the ATI out of what I thought was its grave and brought it back on deck. It worked

The questions:
    1) What is really happenning? Do the three beeps mean anything and why does switching the graphics card solve the problem?
    2) After putting the ATI back, I immediately got the latest drivers for it. But I've just noticed that videos are no longer playing in any zoom except 100%. I know it's not a codecs issue and I've tried different videos and different media players. Are there any known issues with the latest drivers or what?

Sorry it's such a long post, but thanks for your time.

What model motherboard do you have?I may be incorrect but doesnt the motherboards manual usually give an in depth description of what the post beep errors mean?

Perhaps your motherboards AGP/PCI slot that you have your graphics card in is damaged and when you reseat the card it seems to behave correctly again temporarily?

This has my interest now as well as i haven't seen this problem before.Im sure the guys here will get to the bottom of it.Good luck.
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; June 19th, 2006 at 05:35 AM.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    The beeps indicate some kind of "No Post" situation and are dependent on your MB. Typically each manufacturer is gonna use a set of beep codes that are unique to them and the bios they are using.

The 3 beeps probably mean a problem with the video but please post the MB model back so we can find out for sure.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I recommend using driver cleaner to remove all traces of any drivers installed (follow the instructions exactly) and then install the better card, and download the latest drivers.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar

Thank you all so much

I went through the manual and the website but couldn't find what I wanted. And since it's full of spelling and grammar mistakes, I now see what a bad idea it was to get my motherboard from this manufacturer.

This is the motherboard I'm using:
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=1330

Booger, I'll try the driver cleaner, any particular one that you recommend?

The page PIPER posted doesn't give the codes for Award BIOS which I'm using. But assuming it's the same as the Standard Original IBM POST Error Codes, the 1 long + 2 short beeps I get mean a display adapter problem which makes sense, right?

I recommend this version:
    http://www.drivercleaner.net/professional.html

Get the free version. Follow the instructions exactly (you have to boot into safe mode and so on) Then install the latest drivers and it might take care of your problem concerning the drivers.

I managed to find this by searching google.

Award Bios Beep Codes-
    -1 Long, 2 Short =Video adapter failure =Bad video adapter
    -Repeating (Endless loop) =Memory error =Bad memory or bad connection
    -1 Long, 3 Short =Video adapter failure =Bad video adapter or memory
    -High freq. beeps (while running) =CPU is overheating =CPU fan failure
    -Repeating High, Low beeps =CPU failure =Bad processor

If your getting the 1 long/2 short this is what i found
    Explanation: The BIOS is unable to access the video system in order to write any error messages to the screen.
    Diagnosis: This is usually caused by a problem with the video card, or the memory on the video card. It can also be a motherboard issue.

Since you tried another video card already which came to the same issue i would say it could be the motherboard.Were both cards AGP?If so do you have a PCI card you could use for testing?
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; June 19th, 2006 at 10:19 AM.

Booger, that worked perfectly. Videos are working properly now

bhxtyrant, thanks for finding that. Yes, both cards are AGP, so I guess as you said it is the motherboard. Do you think BIOS flashing would work or is it more likely hardware damage?

Thanks, I knew I could count on you

Hey again,
    Another thing i forgot to ask is what is your AGP settings configured to in bio's, 2X,4X,8X ect.I ask because i found a PDF of the motherboard manual and i notice that your particular motherboard has some issues with using the 2X setting which can damage the card or motherbord.

If you are not using the latest Bio's then i would try updating.It wouldn't hurt but i doubt it will solve the problem but it's worth a shot.

Right now my guess would be damage to the motherboard.Like i said above i would really try and use an old PCI card just for testing purposes if it is indeed the AGP slot causing the issue then using a PCI card will clearly let you know.

Rock on male of hot. May your days be long and your women wild!

Thanks for your blessings BB. And thanks bhxtyrant for looking further into it; I'll check the BIOS settings - whatever setting I'm using it must be the default because I surely didn't mess with that.

Sorry about replying so late.