Never assume anything.
I will remind everyone that I live in the boondocks. Looking our my back door, it is two miles to the nearest house. I have neighbors closer than that. houses average 1/4 mile intervals. I am lucky to have DSL in this rural location.
Yesterday there was an early morning thunder storm. When I started my computer, there was no internet connection.
After several hours, I was able to determine the following.
1. I could bypass the router and connect - sometimes.
2. I could ping the modem and find there would be lost packets.
3. I change all ethernet cables with no effect.
4. Finally get a connection, add the router and then loose connection.
5. Uninstall and reinstall nic several times, no apparent change.
6. The modem was new, purchased last week due to network connection problems.
What was the problem?
Take a shot at the cause. I will post the solution later. This exercise may save you a lot of time in the future.