Thread: Network headaches

Network headaches

Never assume anything.

I will remind everyone that I live in the boondocks. Looking our my back door, it is two miles to the nearest house. I have neighbors closer than that. houses average 1/4 mile intervals. I am lucky to have DSL in this rural location.

Yesterday there was an early morning thunder storm. When I started my computer, there was no internet connection.

After several hours, I was able to determine the following.

1. I could bypass the router and connect - sometimes.
    2. I could ping the modem and find there would be lost packets.
    3. I change all ethernet cables with no effect.
    4. Finally get a connection, add the router and then loose connection.
    5. Uninstall and reinstall nic several times, no apparent change.
    6. The modem was new, purchased last week due to network connection problems.

Test question:

What was the problem?

Last edited by efc; June 24th, 2006 at 21:42 PM.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Disable any other network adapters installed except the one you are using.Check the line filter.Renew ip.Unplug then plug modem and reboot modem.Use system restore to get back configuration.Was I close?Are any of these part of the solution?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by zipp51 View Post
    Disable any other network adapters installed except the one you are using.Check the line filter.Renew ip.Unplug then plug modem and reboot modem.Use system restore to get back configuration.Was I close?Are any of these part of the solution?
    Since you covered most possible causes, I would have to say that at least one of the ideas was close. But I'm not saying which one. At least not yet.

I would say the most likley would be your filter, and possibly the router

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I'll vote for resetting the modem.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyW View Post
    I would say the most likley would be your filter, and possibly the router
    Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    I'll vote for resetting the modem.
    Even though I didn't mention it above. I reset both the modem and the router. At that point it was impossible to tell if one or both were damaged.

Thanks to rik, zipp51, and MartyW for participating. With the information that I provided, all were good suggestions. Each had to be considered a possible cause.

The thing that confused me the most was that when I bypassed the router, it would connect to internet and I could access the modem setup via a browser via my desktop computer. Add the router and nothing could be accessed. That suggested that the ethernet cable and ethernet card were good. The problem had to be with the router.

Next when troubleshooting from my remote computer on an 85' run, we would show that the modem had completed a connection with internet but we could not access the modem setup or anything else on the lan. Connect the router and nothing could be accessed. This suggested that possible causes to this machine were cable, ethernet card, modem or the router.

At this point, I was checking prices on a new router. In despiration I decided to change out the ethernet card in my main desktop. It should be good because I could communicate with the modem setup through it. The reason that I decided to change it out, is that it was the only item, other than modem and router that I had not replaced.

I reconnected it to modem and router and turn on the computer. Everything came to life and worked perfectly. I then added the remote computer and it worked as well. I have no idea how a bad ethernet card on one computer could corrupt my entire lan.

Regardless, i am ordering a two extra ethernet cards for my workbench. Next time it will be one the first things that I replace.

Comments are welcome.

That was a good one, but thinking about it i supose a faulty NIC could bring down the whole LAN esp if its shorting some of the cables together or not terminating correctly.

Good post really got me thinking

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    efc, did you try changing the duplex on the NIC in question or was it just dead period?

Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    efc, did you try changing the duplex on the NIC in question or was it just dead period?
    Did not try. By that time, I was just glad to have found a solution. The faulty nic went directly from computer to trash. I didn't want to make the mistake of installing it into another computer.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    My response was due to a similar situation and the add in nic card worked for a while and stopped working.From an installation standpoint it seemed fine and the device was deemed working properly in device manager.There shouldn't have been a conflict between the built in nic and add in but there was even when the built in was disabled.Just by trial I switched pci slots with same results and disabled the add in and enabled the built in and voila,she worked.Electronics do fail,so I think my nic card died.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Ethernet devices also occasionally suffer from something called a broadcast storm which is a pain in the arse and can be a problem to track down on a large network. I have seen a couple of these problems and they generally kill all or part of the network, while you are unable to ping, traceroute or access anything from anywhere it makes troubleshooting erm... difficult!

Google it http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=broadcast+storm
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Actually, I am sorry to point this out, but most left out this point
    Quote Originally Posted by efc
    Yesterday there was an early morning thunder storm. When I started my computer, there was no internet connection.
    I have seen this so far 3 times. Thunderstorms are common here. Actually we have had thunderstomr every evening for the past 5 days. Electricity runs pretty easy thru the ethernet cable, but it shorts out the NIC and ports in devices. EFC, the other end where you had the PC NIC plug probably is bad too, and will cause lots of lost packets. I had had to throw 2 routers, 5 switchs, 2 fiber to hub devices, and 6 NIC. All from thundertorm. What happens is that the port gets shorted out. The faster way to identify the end problem is to look at the link lights. The shorted out end will not have a link light on, thought the other end will show it connected. Last week I actually fixed one of this instances. I am still not sure if the electricity comes from the PC, or directly into the cable. This also happened in a fax, so the telephone cable is not exception. I can tell you however that this always happens in the same 2 buildings, and last week I was told that one of this buildings had an inspection not so long ago, and said it didn't have a discharge point (the other building is one of those trailer type, so probably the grounding is bad too).
    So, efc, first try to find the other port where the cable was connected and labeled BAD to avoid further problem (the rest of the switch/router should be fine), then see if you can improve the grounding for your house. Next could be your fax, TV, or refrigerator (NOOOOO, NO COLD BEER UNTIL NEW REFRIGERATOR!!))))

Quote Originally Posted by Dehcbad25 View Post
    So, efc, first try to find the other port where the cable was connected and labeled BAD to avoid further problem (the rest of the switch/router should be fine), then see if you can improve the grounding for your house.
    I will keep that suggestion in mind, next time there is a similar problem. I've been back up three days without any issues using the same router modem and router connections.

As far as upgrading the grounding for the house, that was taken care of when I built it. It is fully bonded metal frame construction with a one inch copper ground that goes 30 feet into the earth. That places my computers inside a Faraday cage. The electrical system contains "whole house" surge protection. Add to that individual surge protection for my computers and projection tv.

Guess if I am unlucky enough to get my computer fried, I will just have to buy a new AMD Athlon 64 to replace it.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    If I get my PC fried, then I guess I will have to use the other "underpowered one" I can't find a good excuse to upgrade since I have 3 PCs at home