Thread: Windows Explorer Speed up

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    DE - USA

Windows Explorer Speed up

OK. Maybe this is not a great tip for home users, but ohh BOY, it is a great tip for corporate networks. I found out about the shares drives being the culprit in LONGGGG wait times when having any explorer windows (even the open, save as in programs like Excel) when a user had waiting times of up to 5 minutes and she had about 20 shares. Just out of curiosity I disconnected them all out and the delay was gone. Now I know it can even by desabled

When you load up Windows Explorer you might notice a delay, this is due to WindowsXP automatically checking the network for shared folders and printers. Depending on the size of the network you're on, this can take a bit of time and I'm sure we can all agree that sitting in front of the computer waiting for programs to get ready is loads of fun... ;-)

Disabling this feature is easy. First load up Windows Explorer (right click on the "My Computer" icon and select "Explore") then click the "Tools" menu and select "Folders Options". From there click the "View" tab and find the "Automatically search for network folders and printers" check box and uncheck it. Press the "OK" button, reboot your computer and you're all set.

From now on Windows Explorer will no longer check for shared folders or devices on your network automatically when first loading up.

North Central Arkansas
    Good tip.

Liverpool, UK
    That sure is a very good tip