Thread: New SATA Drive not seeing Old SATA drive???

New SATA Drive not seeing Old SATA drive???

Hey Guys,

I'm sure I'm the dummy here, first time I've done this. Finally got a 300GB Drive to reinstall and move stuff from old "hosed" 200GB drive (XP) vs. doing the dirty install that everyone warned against.

Ok, so, the SATA drives do not see eachother so that I can move my stuff! I have another IDE 120 GB in there that is recognized and works fine. Now, the old drive still has the hosed operating system on it and I've booted to it with little problem. However, I'm not sure what I'm doing and don't want to lose the info on old 200GB before getting it on new 300GB. System recognizes them however they do not show in control panel. Can't move anything if I can't see it!

What am I doing wrong? Was there something I needed to do in BIOS? New at the SATA thing......I'm like the mechanic who fixes Lincoln and Lexus but drives home each day in a Vega!

Thanks,
    Sharon

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Have you tried the XP files and settings transfer wizard?

start/all programs/accessories/system tools/

That may allow you to copy files and settings from the old drive to the new.

There are other suggestions, if this doesn't work.

Hi Boogs,

Thanks for the reply but I can't transfer/move files from the drive, its not in the list. I find the impending task daunting at best as I know I'm going to forget/remember later things I wanted to move and in order to do it I have to boot to the old one (the old SATA drive sees new drive, but not the other way around, New drive does not see old drive) and the rebooting will drive me nuts! There will, invariably be something I'm going to forget, remember it at 2am! Simply moving from old to new would be much easier if the new drive would see the old one. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Sharon

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Well, if it is a windows XP pro machine, you could go into computer management/storage/disk management/

THen click action at the top, and scan disks. Does it show up? If so, then check to see if it is available in my computer/ file and system transfer wizard.

That is if you haven't already tried that.

If the old drive shows up in the disk management window but you don't have access to it, try right clicking on it and set it as active. That might allow access to the drive.

If not, you can move the files to the IDE drive using the old boot HD. Then simply copy the files from the IDE to the new SATA. BUt that's only good if the IDE drive is empty and you don't have tons of files to move.

Another option is to boot from the old drive and try moving the settings from the old drive to the new drive that way...

Migrating to a Clean Installation Of Windows XP

This advanced scenario assumes you have only one computer and are going to perform a clean installation of Windows XP side-by-side with an existing installation of Windows. First, you need to complete a clean installation of Windows XP on your computer, at a different location on your hard drive than your current installation. (It is important you do not choose upgrade, but a clean installation.) You also want to be sure not to overwrite your old installation. The computer will need to be able to boot into either operating system. This scenario assumes that you have already completed this dual installation. For more information, see Multibooting with Windows 2000 and Windows XP at http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...t/mltiboot.asp.
    Starting the wizard on your old operating system

Start your computer by booting into your old operating system. Insert the Windows XP CD.

When the Windows XP Welcome screen appears, click Perform Additional Tasks, then click Transfer Files and Settings.

When the Welcome to the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard page appears, click Next.

When the Select a transfer method page appears, select Other, and then click Browse to select a folder that has enough room to store the collected files and settings. You will probably need at least 150 megabytes (MB). Note that later you will need to locate the folder in which you stored the files and settings. Click Next.

The What do you want to transfer page appears allowing you to select settings only, files only, or both files and settings. When you select an option, the page displays a list of what will be migrated.

Select Both Files and Settings and select Let me select a custom list of files and settings when I click Next as shown in Figure 5 below.
    Figure 5: Specifying files and settings for migration.

Figure 5: Specifying files and settings for migration.
    See full-sized image.

Click Next. The Select custom files and settings page appears as shown in Figure 6 below.
    Figure 6: Customizing files and settings for migration.

Figure 6: Customizing files and settings for migration.
    See full-sized image.

On the Select custom files and settings page, you can add or remove known settings, file types, folders, or specific files. In this scenario, you will want to migrate the default folders, because these are located in a different place in Windows XP; however, you don't need to migrate any of the file types. You can access those files where they are now.

Select each of the items in the File Type's tree and click Remove. Leave all of the settings. When all of the File Types have been removed, click Next.

The wizard now scans your existing Windows installation and collects all of the settings you requested to migrate. This usually takes a few minutes.

When the wizard finishes collecting the files and settings, the completion page appears. Click Finish.

Starting the wizard on Windows XP

Start your computer by booting into Windows XP. Open the File and Settings Transfer Wizard.

When the Do you have a Windows XP CD page appears, select I don't need the Wizard Disk. I have already collected my files and settings from my old computer. Click Next.

When the Where are your files and settings page appears, select Other and click Browse. Go to the folder share drive where you stored your files.

The wizard begins reading the collected files and settings and applies them to your new installation.

When the settings and files have been applied, the completion page appears. Click Finished. For the changes to take effect, you need to restart your computer and boot into your Windows XP installation.

Your files and settings from your old installation should now be applied on your new installation of Windows XP. Some files are duplicated between the two installations, such as files on your desktop, in Favorites, or in My Documents. Other items, such as your mail store, are also duplicated.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../mgrtfset.mspx

or

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ovember12.mspx

You may also have to disable the RAID support in your BIOS for the Sata drives. If you want to treat them as 2 separate drives, then the RAID will most likely have to be disabled.

Further you may have to reformat the new SATA drive without an OS. Boot into the old SATA With windows, create a two new partitions on the new drive, transfer your files to one of the new partitions and then, unhook the old drive, hook up the new drive, and format the other partition to accept windows XP. THen you'd have 2 partitions on the new drive, one with your files and the other with XP on it.

Then format the old SATA drive and install it as a second hard disk for storage.