Thread: Compaq Deskpro

Compaq Deskpro

Hey guys,Having some trouble here with a Compaq Deskpro S6000.Originally the problem was a blue screen error which unfortunatly i didn't get to copy.This blue screen error would turn up whenever windows started loading to the point where you couldn't even get into windows even in safe mode.The owner of this PC contacted someone to repair it who tried to do a windows XP repair which didnt help one bit.

Today they contacted me to look at it and i ended up having to do a format and reinstall of Xp pro SP2.When i first installed it all seemed to be working fine.Windows booted up and all was working.After i left the PC froze which lead to me returning.Now whenever I try to start the Pc it will get the the loading screen and on accasion the logon screen then suddenly reboot.

I have it loacked down to a problem with either the memory,Processor or PSU.At the moment we do not have any spares of these components so i wanted to ask everyone here on any alternative ways of rooting out the problem.First im planning to run memtest86 on it and go from there.Any feedback or opinions would be great.Thanks to all who see this.

Update:---------------------
    I ran memtest 86 on it which came up clean up until it reached test 7 of pass 12 then the PC froze up which required a manual restart.After restarting i resumed the test and all seems to be fine.I did not run a full scan as the time would be to long to stay and wait but each test after 7 i allowed to go through 12 passes.

I then restarted the PC which seemed to be running again and logged into windows and ran a chkdsk on the hard drive which also came up clean.

At the moment i told them to leave the PC on to determine if it locks up again.The more i think about it the more im thinking that it's the PSU.Also when windows started it gave the message that windows recovered from a serious error.I will have to check event viewer tommorrow to see what happened with that.
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; July 4th, 2006 at 04:12 AM.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    If it is a Core-Duo proc, turn that off in the bios and see what happens.

The processor in the PC is an AMD athlon XP 1800+ so i don't think it's a Core-Duo.I will check on that tommorrow when i go back.Also it has 128MB PC2100 DDR just for the record.It also has mostly everything on board such as graphics,sound,ethernet and one PCI modem.The owner also mentioned that the floppy drive no longer works but i don't think that could cause this issue.and thanks for the reply rik.

Nope. AMD=no Core-Duo

oh well

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Sounds like to me 2 compnents might be responsible, one the PSU. After it gets warm it shuts down the PC.

Or 2 the CPU is overheating/damaged.

To troubleshoot the PSU try swapping it out with another temporarily.

As for the CPU, you can try to swap it out if you have another component. If not try taking it to your local shop or comp store to see if they can test it out for you.

I'd check all cable connections, fan connections etc.. I'd even try reseating the processor with some thermal compound. I'd then boot the PC, and watch the fans on both the CPU and the PSU to make sure they are working.

Hey BB,
    Bit of an update,I found out that the owner had previously opened the PC to clean dust from it.So i tryed a few simple solutions like reseating the Ram,Processor,ect.After that the PC seems to be running fine again.I think it also might have been due to overheating.The PC has a heavy steel case with only a single rear fan and the HSF on the processor.And the day in questions was a very hot day on top of that.But for the moment it seems to be running again.I will keep a close eye on it and go from there.I pulled a spare PSU out for testing if needed so hopefully all will be well.

Also i had a question for the Memtest86 users.Typically speaking is how long does it take to complete a full test from start to finish?I know it varies from PC to PC but i would think the less RAM in the system the shorter time it would take.The PC in questions has 128MB ram PC2100

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    what if you take the sides of the case does it run longer. also if you have any thermal grease I would reapply it. just remember with amd's use very little grease on it and spread it around with a old credit card or something.

Hey Phish,
    I haven't givin that a try yet but i will if the problem persists and report back.I did apply some thermal grease to it after noticing the HSP base was extremely hot on the day in question as well.

Sorry for the double post,I just had an update on the situation and wanted to draw attention here for opinions.

Today i went back to check up on the PC in question.The PC had ben running fine since i first encountered it.Today i went to install a few software apps on the PC such as microsoft office,Nero,and Verizon DSL service.After installing Office the PC needed a reboot.Once the PC rebooted the problem came again first with a single blue screen error which appeared to fast to write down.Then a costant reboot cycle began.After atempting to boot it safe mode which caused a lock up i attempted a final time to boot in normal mode.Then a strange icon appeared on the screen which i havent seen before.A little blue,pink color icon with the letters PF and a sort of diamond type shape besides it.Now the PC will no longer boot at all.I fear that the processor may have died as when the PC starts everything turns on but the activity leds do not light up but CD-roms,fans ect all come on.

Since i have no replacement parts for testing i now have no choice but to recommend her taking it to a shop.Just wanted to ask here beforehand mainly reguarding the strange icon that appeared.

Well. maybe some help here on the icon http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/f...54664+28353475 but still no idea what it is...

or maybe here...http://search.hp.com/query.html?qt=P...x=2&submit.y=7

Thanks rik,
    I checked there but i was unable to find any info on the blue/pink colored symbol.The one i saw definently wasnt red.I'm still looking though.