Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norton 2000 / 2003

Norton 2000 / 2003

My OS is XP and some how my Norton 200 stopped working. used Norton 3000 for a while but that too stopped working. Now I can not install any one of these. The installation goes through till almost end but hangs at the system information and registration level.
    I also can not acess windows update and neither see anything in system restore.
    looks like VB script engine / Java is malfunctioning.
    any help will be appreciated. being a novie , I tried to reformat my hard drive by going to C properties , tools and it will not format it. I was thinking of reinstalling xp to recover from these peoblems.
    Thanks to all in advance

Re: Norton 2000 / 2003

Apologies for the typo - it was Norton 2003
    and novice in my original post
    My OS is XP and some how my Norton 200 stopped working. used Norton 3000 for a while but that too stopped working. Now I can not install any one of these. The installation goes through till almost end but hangs at the system information and registration level.
    I also can not acess windows update and neither see anything in system restore.
    looks like VB script engine / Java is malfunctioning.
    any help will be appreciated. being a novie , I tried to reformat my hard drive by going to C properties , tools and it will not format it. I was thinking of reinstalling xp to recover from these peoblems.
    Thanks to all in advance

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    You will not be able to reformat in the way that you did because C drive contains the Operating System and you tried to reformat from within Windows. You have to boot from your XP cd then choose format from there.

[
    Thanks - would appreciate a bit more detailed instructions. I have the CD and will make an attempt to do so insted of paying the techy.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Conan
    You will not be able to reformat in the way that you did because C drive contains the Operating System and you tried to reformat from within Windows. You have to boot from your XP cd then choose format from there. [/QUOTE]

Check out this guide here.

many Thanks
    Originally posted by Conan
    Check out this guide here.

it is still to technical for me - I do not understand CMOS settings , which is step one and can not proceed. My Internet is working but problem is with antivirus and win update / system restore.
    it would be safe to have it done by a techy - though i have to have it done almost monthly either due to bugs or fauly install/ usage.
    I am thankful for the reply.

Originally posted by PSD
    many Thanks

Try and see if your PC will boot from the CD-ROM with the Windows XP disc inside. If it does then proceed, if it does not then hold off the process.

My PC is running currently : it boots on its own. I guess I am too raw to understand all the terms.
    I though I could just install xp by crlicking the setup icon after cleaning the drive.

Originally posted by Conan
    Try and see if your PC will boot from the CD-ROM with the Windows XP disc inside. If it does then proceed, if it does not then hold off the process.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Welcome PSD!!!
    Don't worry about being a novice. We are all novice in some field, and we were novice before
    If when you turn on your PC with the Windows XP CD inside, it boots exactly as it used to do without the CD in the CD-ROM, it means that your CMOS (BIOS) configuration is set to boot to the hard drive directly in order to save you time.
    To install XP, and format the drive, there is 2 ways when this happens.
    But first, be warned, that formating will erase all data in that drive, and you cannot recover it, so make sure, there is nothing that you will want to recover later. Make a backup off all files you want to keep!!!
    You can chose your backup method, or if you need asistance, lets us know.
    Now, lets suppouse that you have all backed up, and you have all the drivers that you need (download new drivers for all your PC components, more important your NIC card and video, just in case XP don't recognize those components).
    1)- You can either iniciate the Windows Instalation from the CD, and look for an option that says something similar to this "Let me chose partitions in the instalation" I don't remember the exact message right now, and I don't have an XP CD with me either. So if you need the exact message, I can post it for you tonight.
    When you select that box, after copying all files to the disk, and rebooting, it will give you a couple of more options to install XP.
    It will ask you in which drive you want to install it, and in which partition. Also you will have the option to format partition one drive in order to install XP from clean. I recomend that you install in the same partition that you did before, so, you format that partition and install it there. From there on, the instalation wizard will guide you just like when you installed it the first time.
    2) This might seeem more advance, but you need to learn it either way, so it is better to at least try it.
    You will need to change your booting sequence, so it boots first from the CD.
    I will try to be the most clear possible. If you don't undertand any of the words I use, let me know, and I will explaing it for you
    You have to enter to your CMOS, also refered as the BIOS. You can do this in many ways depending of the version. (It might be Phoenix, Award, etc.).
    Usually you have to press del. or in Compaq is F2. Some Dell are ctrl+alt+enter.
    Other are F10. If you let us know what is the BIOS version we could possibly give you a more detailed and specific information and steps.
    Now, also depending of the CMOS version it will have different option, but basically you have to look in General, or Advance section, and look for "Boot order". The CMOS screen will let you know at the bottom how to change selections, and which keys to use. Most of the time you move with the arrow keys, and change selection with - and +.
    What you want is to select the boot order in a way that the CD-ROm is first, the The floppy drive, and then your Hard Drive.
    Save the changes, and then the PC will reboot. And you will see that it tries to boot first from the CD, if there is not bootable CD, it will try the A: drive, if there is no disk there, it will go to the Hard drive and boot normally.
    This will only add a couple of seconds to your total booting time, so you can leave it this way is you want to after reisntalling.
    Now yu will be able to boot from the CD or a diskette.
    Give it a try first and lets us know if you need any help

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Below is another guide with screenshots, it may not show the screenshots, if not, when I get time I will put them in a document and post them up later.

everything will be the same for you except for the qualifying key thing...

You will also need another file, but it is too large for me to post. It contains all the screenshots from the web page, if you want it, just PM me and I will send it to you via email.
    BB
    Last edited by Big Booger; August 30th, 2002 at 15:55 PM.

Many Many Thanks
    I am encouraged to try this.

Originally posted by Big Booger
    Below is another guide with screenshots, it may not show the screenshots, if not, when I get time I will put them in a document and post them up later.

everything will be the same for you except for the qualifying key thing...

You will also need another file, but it is too large for me to post. It contains all the screenshots from the web page, if you want it, just PM me and I will send it to you via email.
    BB
    [/QUOTE]

Lightbulb

I am really Thanksful for your help and efforts in helping me.
    best Regards
    PSD

Originally posted by Dehcbad25
    Welcome PSD!!!
    Don't worry about being a novice. We are all novice in some field, and we were novice before
    If when you turn on your PC with the Windows XP CD inside, it boots exactly as it used to do without the CD in the CD-ROM, it means that your CMOS (BIOS) configuration is set to boot to the hard drive directly in order to save you time.
    To install XP, and format the drive, there is 2 ways when this happens.
    But first, be warned, that formating will erase all data in that drive, and you cannot recover it, so make sure, there is nothing that you will want to recover later. Make a backup off all files you want to keep!!!
    You can chose your backup method, or if you need asistance, lets us know.
    Now, lets suppouse that you have all backed up, and you have all the drivers that you need (download new drivers for all your PC components, more important your NIC card and video, just in case XP don't recognize those components).
    1)- You can either iniciate the Windows Instalation from the CD, and look for an option that says something similar to this "Let me chose partitions in the instalation" I don't remember the exact message right now, and I don't have an XP CD with me either. So if you need the exact message, I can post it for you tonight.
    When you select that box, after copying all files to the disk, and rebooting, it will give you a couple of more options to install XP.
    It will ask you in which drive you want to install it, and in which partition. Also you will have the option to format partition one drive in order to install XP from clean. I recomend that you install in the same partition that you did before, so, you format that partition and install it there. From there on, the instalation wizard will guide you just like when you installed it the first time.
    2) This might seeem more advance, but you need to learn it either way, so it is better to at least try it.
    You will need to change your booting sequence, so it boots first from the CD.
    I will try to be the most clear possible. If you don't undertand any of the words I use, let me know, and I will explaing it for you
    You have to enter to your CMOS, also refered as the BIOS. You can do this in many ways depending of the version. (It might be Phoenix, Award, etc.).
    Usually you have to press del. or in Compaq is F2. Some Dell are ctrl+alt+enter.
    Other are F10. If you let us know what is the BIOS version we could possibly give you a more detailed and specific information and steps.
    Now, also depending of the CMOS version it will have different option, but basically you have to look in General, or Advance section, and look for "Boot order". The CMOS screen will let you know at the bottom how to change selections, and which keys to use. Most of the time you move with the arrow keys, and change selection with - and +.
    What you want is to select the boot order in a way that the CD-ROm is first, the The floppy drive, and then your Hard Drive.
    Save the changes, and then the PC will reboot. And you will see that it tries to boot first from the CD, if there is not bootable CD, it will try the A: drive, if there is no disk there, it will go to the Hard drive and boot normally.
    This will only add a couple of seconds to your total booting time, so you can leave it this way is you want to after reisntalling.
    Now yu will be able to boot from the CD or a diskette.
    Give it a try first and lets us know if you need any help

My BIOS is Award Modular V4.51 PG

Originally posted by PSD
    I am really Thanksful for your help and efforts in helping me.
    best Regards
    PSD

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    http://bigbooger2.tripod.com/digitalsolutions/id5.html

Get that guide with the screenshots at the link above.
    BB