Thread: Failure to Renew IP Address

Failure to Renew IP Address

Ok heres my situation. A little over a week ago there were 2 power surges and next thing I know, I can't use the internet. So I replaced my old LinkSys router(model n/a) and bought a PCI network card. I'm not very computer savvy but I've been at this everyday since it happened. I have 2 desktops connected to a linksys router which is receiving the feed from a timewarner cable modem. The other computer accesses the internet fine but mine does not at all. Not one bit. I get an "Automatic Private Address" which is like 169.xxx.xx.xx. All I remember is the 169 really. I've ran antivirus programs, ad aware, spybot S&D, CWshredder, WinsockFix and more to no avail. My LAN settings on both computers are to automatically get the address and the other comp has the timewarner address and mine get thes 169 address. Even worse is when I direct connect to my pc I still get the same. I've also replaced ethernet cables, mix and matched, and more. Still nothing. I send bytes but I do not receive. The other day I tried rebooting the modem, router and letting em sit. Did it for about 20 seconds multiple times and at one point the broken comp was using the addy 198.169.xx.xxx or whatever, and was receiving packets, but very few and still would not connect. This only lasted momentarily before it switched back to the 169 addy. PLEASE any bit of input that I haven't already tried would be awesome. I've tried releasing and renewing in ipconfig as well but still wouldn't work and like I said attempting to repair the connection only leads to the "Failure to Renew" error.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Try going into your ethernet properties and setting your Internal IP's on your computers manually. That means adding the IP, subnet and gateways yourself. As well as the DNS addresses on both machines.

Make sure to go into your router and disable DHCP. You will need to get the DNS information from your provider for the NIC settings in each machine.

When you manually setup an IP address, you generally use the same subnet on both machines, and the same gateway. The gateway is the IP to the router.

Mine typically looks like this

IP- 192.168.0.(ANY # BESIDES 1)
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.0.1

DNS XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

There are typically two DNS addresses. I got those from my provider.

If manual setting the connections doesn't work, write back and we'll see what we can do from there.

http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14456

Check that link above for more responses to this problem. It's quite common.

I attempted at all that but still not working. It was only sending but not receiving. Then I tried something else. I let the DHCP server automatically assign my IP, then I manually put in the DNS servers. Didn't work either, BUT I was sending AND receiving this time. Please any more input would help, NEED this computer to work lol.

Also..how do I disable DHCP from my router? I'm totally new to networking so keep that in mind hehe. Its weird...its like the cable modem isn't transmitting to my computer. Automatically configured I get 192.168.x.xxx with the matching default gateway etc etc, but the other computer gets the roadrunner address from the DHCP.(computer's owner is a roadrunner installer, he doesn't know what the hell is going on either). When I plug the ethernet directly to my new PCI network adapter I get nothing, and same with the built in adapter. Please help!
    Last edited by shalor; July 11th, 2006 at 13:05 PM.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Ok, ensure the cable modem is working correctly, you may have to call their Helpdesk support to run some line checks - just in case the power surges broke something

Next, ensure the router is working correctly, you may have to login to web-page settings for it, and ensure it is getting a WAN IP from the cable modem, and also assigning LAN addresses via DHCP.... try plugging ethernet cable into different ports...

Now, for your LAN ie your computer and the other computer, make ur IP settings for the network card auto assign... you can tell it works if u get an IP address of 10.1.x.x or 192.168.x.x anything else eg 169.x.x.x means the connection didnt work correctly.

goodluck

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    To disable DHCP in the router, depends on the model. If you posted the model and number of the router perhaps I could find a manual or some other member might be familiar with it.

In my router I log on, and there is a setting to enable or disable DHCP. If enabled, you generally don't need to configure any settings on your LAN, and your internal IP address is assigned automatically.

I have found that that doesn't work all the time, and it makes Remote Desktop very hard to do if the IPs are always changing.

So I log on to my router, disable the DHCP, and then setup the network settings manually the way I like it.

One other question, when you replaced the NIC, did you remove it in the hardware properties, before you uninstalled it? It could be that the computer still recognizes that NIC and the new one is being assigned a new address based on the previous NICs settings.

You may even have to reinstall your OS to sort this completely.. but you should have to.

I think setting the settings in the NIC to a manual IP, Subnet, and gateway as well as specific DNS servers, should solve this.

But you need to go into the router and make sure DHCP is disabled. If you have the model number of the router I can try to find out how to do that.

Another thing you can try, is to set up a DMZ on the troubled machine. A DMZ basically makes the machine open to the outside world without any of the security features of the router. It's not recommended but if it works it works.