Thread: Tracking airline flights

Tracking airline flights

I've been told that I can go online, enter whatever url, enter an airline and a flight number and see the flight represented in real time on my monitor. You know, like you can on the little monitors on some of the big airplane transatlantic flights.

Can someone give me the url of such a site. My son is flying here from Germany tomorrow and it would be fun to watch his progress from time to ltime. But I haven't managed to find a site that does that.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    That is a great idea wumply.. i did some travel between USA and Australia, and i had a bookmark to trackaflyte_com, but that doesnt work anymore...

try http://www.flytecomm.com/cgi-bin/tra...=select_random that website shows a randomly selected flight to watch... but you can enter any flight around the world to and see their current flight status, location on the globe, and predicted flight path... very handy and good to see with loved ones..

good luck...

why was he in Germany for? did he watch some World Cup soccer matches?!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Well, I'd known about tracking flights because my son (David) had toldl me about it a long time ago. And I tried flytecomm and also flightaware.com which I liked better because while it initially shows you the airplane flying along its path, it also allows you to click on the small picture and view a much larger one. Which flytecomm didn't. Neither showed me the flightpath from Frankfurt, Germany, apparently because they're limited to only showing FAA IFR radar and once the airplane has gone beyond the boundaries of that or hasn't flown into those boundaries, the information just is not available. Is there radar tracking over oceans? IDK; I do know that pilots can use powerful long distance radio communication for whatever when they are over oceans.

So I didn't get to see the plane leave Germany;guess I'd have needed a European tracking site for that. I'll probably look for one between now and when he returns to Germany about the end of July.

He did have to, however, change planes in Detroit to get to Minneapolis, and I was able to watch that flight from start to finish--it took about 1.5 hours. And every 2-3 minutes you would see the plane's track inch forward a tad along with any changes in airspeed and altitude. As it came in for a landing, you could see the altitude and speed drop rapidly. It was pretty neat.

He moved to Germany last August to work for the same company in Frankfurt. A 2-year deal though it's possible he can elect to stay another 2 years. I flew over last October with my youngest son, and we'll be going again this October.

Don't know if he watched World Soccer Cup Matches. He did say that (I think) the little town he lives in, Konigsberg, was hosting players from other countries, and there were band and music and parading in the Konigstein streets one day.

Did you grow up in the USA and if so, how did you come to settle in Australia?