Thread: A "Be Aware" email I got from a friend recently

A "Be Aware" email I got from a friend recently

To: XXXXXXXXX
    Subject: Hey John !!

Hey just thought I would let you know something that was on the news.

The Federal Trade Commission said
    If you are on the Internet and Ordering something and a Pop Up Ad comes up Some of them if you hit the "X" to close it you are ordering it and the site your buying your item from gets a commision.

So you must hit "NO" to NOT automatically order or EVEN BETTER !! hit the keys [ALT] [F4]

SEE YA!!
    Last edited by rik; July 9th, 2006 at 02:51 AM.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wumply View Post

If you are on the Internet and Ordering something and a Pop Up Ad comes up Some of them if you hit the "X" to close it you are ordering it and the site your buying your item from gets a commision.

So you must hit "NO" to NOT automatically order or EVEN BETTER !! hit the keys [ALT] [F4]

SEE YA!!
    wumply?

this is why you use Firefox!!!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar

So I gather there is something about Firefox of which I was unaware? I switched to FF because it was the rage for a while and because, being new, it didn't have all the many virus writers writing viruses for it. Does/did FF say it will prevent instances as in my friend's letter?

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    well, it sounds weird. Regardless I don't think that web sites will go to those measures, because they are sure to be bankrupt in less than a couple of months since that is fraud. To me it seems more like a spam/urban leyend/chain email with a rant agains pop up advertisement.
    BTW have you seen the latest army popup? It covers almost the whole screen if you have 1024x768 and the x is so difficult to find.
    Ohh, btw, since they are actually a component of the page (most of them are flash) hitting alt+F4 will close the IE window

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wumply View Post

SEE YA!!
    Wumply,

Clicking the 'real' X in the upper right-hand corner of the pop-up window will close the window and not do anything. Just always use the X in the VERY upper right corner of the pop-up screen (not the 'fake' one in the pop-up window) and you'll be ok. If you're still unsure, then on your Task Bar on the bottom of the screen, you can right click on the one for the pop-up and select close.

How are you going to order it if they don't have you're address/credit card information? By clicking on the 'No' on the popup, you're probably asking for more trouble. ALT+F4 will work, as long as the pop-up is the currently active window.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Yeah, i always press esc, or alt+F4 to close pop-ups... but with FFox, i dont get many of them... like 1 a year

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---