Thread: XP Pro MBR fix on SATA drive

Question XP Pro MBR fix on SATA drive

howdy all,

Ok, new situation kicking my azz. Have a client that boned the MBR on his Windows XP Professional box by installing GoBack, which of course died and left him unbootable.

Drive is on a SATA controller. So the GoBack fix CD hangs during bootup cuz it can't read the drive. Same with Powerquest bootup CD. Booting off a floppy into DOS, same problem, cant see SATA drive.

I dropped in an XP Pro CD and tried to repair and/or do a parallel install, but "Windows XP cannot recognize the partition you selected". I think it's a dynamic disk.

Next try is to drop the drive into another box, but I need to look up how to affect the MBR of the secondary drive.

Toss any ideas you want this way, short of wipe and re-install.

thanks for all constructive input,

Jim Peterson
    Computing Solutions
    Last edited by Gersen; August 4th, 2006 at 00:28 AM.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    well did you try booting into the recovery console and running fixboot or fixmbr?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Drive is on a SATA controller. So the GoBack fix CD hangs during bootup cuz it can't read the drive. Same with Powerquest bootup CD. Booting off a floppy into DOS, same problem, cant see SATA drive.

I dropped in an XP Pro CD and tried to repair and/or do a parallel install, but "Windows XP cannot recognize the partition you selected". I think it's a dynamic disk.
    Sounds like real bad news. If you can't access the drive to do an easy fixmbr (as phishhead suggest) then what can you do ? GoBack has been known to hose HD's

Well you can try things in this thread http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...hreadid=192148

Good luck so you won't need this
    short of wipe and re-install.
    [edit]= BTW just to let you know, awhile back I got a HD hosed by GoBack and none of the HD wipe tools would work because they couldn't see the drive Don't remember what Distro but one of the Linux Live cd's could see the drive (don't know why) so I used that to wipe & format.

If you get things sorted tell your client to use one of the following..

FirstDefense-ISR

RollBack Rx

ShadowUser

Acronis True Image
    Last edited by FastGame; August 4th, 2006 at 01:56 AM.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Look and see if the preboot environment shows a go back option...( like pressing F11 or something similar)

If so boot into that and I believe it gives the option of disabling Go Back.

*p.o.s. go back*