Thread: Sounds

Sounds

I just upgraded my wifes PC from Windows Me, to XP Home Edition. And am having problem with some of the sounds. The logon and exit sounds do not play. If I go into the Control Panel and look at the sound themes I can test each one individually and there is no problem with the sounds playing, BUT they do not play automatically. Hope this makes sense, could use some help thank you very much in advance.. Allen

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    By "upgrade" do you mean installing XP over Me, or did you format the drive first?

I installed XP over ME...

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Because you only upgraded to XP,rather than doing a clean install,you may need to set the Sound Scheme to default settings first.
    Go back to Sounds & Audio Devices in control panel,and on the Sounds tab select Windows Default from the sound scheme drop down menu.Click apply.
    Also on the Audio tab make sure the correct default device is selected in the Sound Playback drop down menu.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Reverend gave you the most probable cause to your issue, and the fix, so please keep us updated.
    And for further information, to have the best system configuration and setup available, it is always recommended to do a reinstall of the OS, rather than an upgrade, with XP, it's fairly simple, just choose the format option when it asks where you want to install the OS, I typcially do the full format, rather than the quick as it rewrites everything, including the file structures. If that is impossible, the best way to do it, would be to clean install windows ME, then immediately afterward do the upgrade, run the updates to Windows XP, and sort out the problems as they arise.

Welcome to techzonez.
    BB

sounds are back, thank you for your help...