Thread: Windows Update Problem

Question Windows Update Problem

Hi.
    I just built a new machine and installed XP Home.
    Everything seems to go fine when installing the OS, but then I try to update through Windows Update. When scanning for Updates it jumps from 0% - 100% in a matter of a second and then says there are no updates. It doesn't seem to be scanning my comp right or something.
    Could it be a hardware issue? I believe this is the second time it happened using an ECS K7S5A motherboard. Change the motherboard and everything's fine.
    Has anyone heard of this or any similar issues?

Thanks!

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I haven't heard anything related to the motherboard and Windows Updates. What kind of Internet connection do you have? Try deleting all your Temporary Internet Files then try going to the Update site again.

Unfortunately I've already tried that.
    (Even Updated The Bios, to no avail!!)

I'm using the store LAN, but I've never had any trouble updating with any other comps before, except with the 2 ECS mobo's that had Windows XP Home on them.
    Come to think of it, the other ECS K7S5A mobo's that had XP were all Pro, and there were no problems with that whatsoever.
    Wierd!!!

I changed the motherboard on the comp to an Asus A7V-266C and it worked fine.

Thanks for the Help tho

I have the same problem.
    I even did a clean install of win2k and problem surfaced again.
    I suspect it's some software app thats causing it.
    Whe i logon as "administrator" it works!!! go figure.
    even when i use administrator rights on my login nfg.
    so now i update as administrator.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I had a thread on this same problem awhile back..don't know if the answer will be the same ?

Check your system clock , mine was off by 17 years & there are no updates in the year 2019...don't laugh true story , took M$ support to find the problem and don't know how it got that way

Hey it's worth a check

Exclamation Windows Update not working

windows update doesn't work because the language entry in IE is erased somehow..
    to fix this, go to Tools > internet options , click on "Languages" , click on "Add" and then select your language which is most likely "English (United States) [en-us]" then click OK and OK..

you may need to restart IE for the changes to take place, not sure of this.. but after that, your problem should be solved