Thread: New July heatwave record set

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar

New July heatwave record set

The all-time record British temperature for July has been broken as thermometers hit 36.3C (97.3F) at Charlwood in Surrey.

Forecasters said the temperature was recorded just after 2.30pm at a weather station near Gatwick Airport.

The previous record of 36C (96.8F) was set at Epsom, Surrey, on July 22, 1911, while 35.9C (96.6F) was recorded at Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, on July 3, 1976.

Elizabeth Tennant, 55, front desk manager of the Stanhill Court Hotel, in Charlwood, said staff and customers were "melting". She said: "It's very hot, we are all melting. I've just asked the boss for ice creams and she's considering it."

One member of staff at the village's Rising Sun pub said she was surprised by the record temperatures as it had been slightly cloudy.

She said: "It's extremely hot. The customers are all sweating. They all look red and really hot. There's sweat dripping off them."

Meanwhile, the Local Government Association warned people about the dangers of cooling off in waterways.

Former lifeguard Hazel Harding, chair of the group's safer communities board, said many councils had issued guidance to parents about the risks of lakes or rivers.

She said: "The simple truth is that local rivers and lakes are not designed for swimming and can easily kill unsuspecting bathers. They are not supervised and many are cold and deep with unpredictable currents. Submerged objects could also lead to serious accidents."

Guardian Unlimited

PS: That record setting village is about 10 mins from me.
    I know these temperatures may not seem high to a lot of you outside the UK, but over here its very oppressive when also coupled with the high humidity we are experiencing. The night-time temperatures are also high (in the low twenties celcius) which is normally the July daytime average.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    97 F? That's a typical Summer day for us. And I bet RiK can chime in with even higher temps.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    109F when I got in my truck after work today...almost had ta put on a sweater...brrrrr

Still 87 here at 10:30 pm

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    109F when I got in my truck after work today...almost had ta put on a sweater...brrrrr

Most of that heat is generated from customers on hold.....lol....

Quote Originally Posted by petard View Post
    97 F? That's a typical Summer day for us. And I bet RiK can chime in with even higher temps.
    Which is exactly why i said this:
    I know these temperatures may not seem high to a lot of you outside the UK, but over here its very oppressive when also coupled with the high humidity we are experiencing.
    You may be used to those kind of temps, but over here we are not.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    well lets see how you guys do in the next world cup...isnt it gonna be in africa.right now in san diego its 92F at around 3pm.pretty typical but last week we had a record breaker with the heat index reached 109f...now thats pretty toasty considering I'm about 15mins from the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead View Post
    well lets see how you guys do in the next world cup...isnt it gonna be in africa.
    posted July 1st.

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    Welcome to the real world, Rev. NYC's been hot and stickier than glue.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    well we just had the coldest July morning in several years, with -2.5 degrees celcius in Melbourne CBD!! It was frozty!!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

It's really hot also here in Italy

These are the forecast for the weekend in Bologna by AccuWeather:

Very hot and humid with intervals of clouds and sun
    High Temperature: 37° C (100° F)
    RealFeel®: 48° C (120° F)
    Maximum UV: High (6)
    Thunderstorm Probability: 18%

Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post

I knew there was a reason that I left Texas. Maybe we should all visit Cash_Site for a while.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by efc View Post
    I knew there was a reason that I left Texas. Maybe we should all visit Cash_Site for a while.
    I've always had the thought that colder weather is better because you can always get warm (jumper, fireplace)... but in the Heat, it follows you around like Flys to a bad smell!!

In this heat, it would be great to go to the beach... but just dont fall asleep on the sand... else, you'll be lobstered!!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---