Thread: Messenger installation problem - [FIXED]

Messenger installation problem - [FIXED]

I was using Msn Messenger 7.5 which I accedently got uninstalled.

While reinstalling it, my PC was struck by a power failure when the installation was right in the middle.

Now when I try to install it I get an error message that "C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{CEB3A11A-03EA-11DA-BFBD-00065BBDC0B5}'. A file with this name already exists. Please rename or remove the file and click retry,or click Cancel to exit."

I`ve tried to browse for the folder "C:\WINDOWS\Installer" but i`ve come to know that the folder "Installer" does not exist in the directory Windows. I`ve even searched the hidden files but no use.

Please tell me wat can I do to install messenger now.
    Muhammad Irfan

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    The Installer folder is hidden by default.

Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options. On the view tab put a check in "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)". Accept the warning message and then click Apply.

Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\Installer

Also, go to Add or Remove Programs in control panel and if messenger 7.5 is listed try uninstalling it first, then reinstall.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    BTW, rather than using 7.5 why don't you upgrade to Windows Live Messenger 8.0.

You should be able to install that version without getting the error messages.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    you could try the MS msi clean up utility found here http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...bd/msicuu2.exe

it says its for MS office. but once it is installed point to the messenger location and run it. This utility has helped me out of quite a few install failures.

Thnx a lot reverend.I got my problem fixed.
    But the MS msi clean up utility mentionerd by phishhead didn`t work as messenger was nt listed in it.
    but thnx for ur assistance.
    Muhammad Irfan