Thread: overheating PC

overheating PC

hi, first off im really not very good with computers and its quite possible i might not understand what your talking about...if that makes sense.

well anyway heres the problem: my PC overheats when i play games (when i play css is when its the most frequent) when i touch my graphics cards they are very hot, and once, just before my comp crashed i was able to read the asus probe and it said 48 degC but it probably went up higher afte that. i have the side of my case off with a fan blowing into it, i have 4 fans including one on my motherboard in between my two cards theyre all working fine and arent clogged with dust.

any suggestions as to how to keep my PC cool?

thanks
    malteser

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    what is the temp when your side is on the case? does it go up. are the front fans blowing in and the back fans blowing out. are your hard drive cables in the way. try tucking the ribbons out of the way or use round cables. when was the last time you blew out the case with air. if that is all fine then might need to change the thermal grease on the cpu. its a grease that goes between the CPU and the heat sink.

i didnt look at the temperature before i took the side off.

i dont have a fan in the front of my PC but the one on top is blowing out, on the sides its blowing in, the two on the back are blowing out and theres an air intake on the front but its covered by a little swing-door type thing.

are my hard drive cables in the way? in the way of what?

i blew my case out with compressed air a few days ago, but it was very thorough and there probably still some dust in there.

how will i know wether i need to replace the thermal paste? but i think its mainly the graohics cards that re doing the overheating (although asus probe did show the CPU as getting hot, but its got a fan and a big heatsink all to itself)

thanks.
    malteser

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Did this just start or has it always run hot?

Hello Malteser,
    First I'd have to ask, what Kind of CPU are you using, do you know? (typically AMD/Intel). In any case, the truth is that 48*c isnt very hot at all, its not exactly cool but thats about average and I doubt that that would be what's causing your PC to reboot. As for your graphic card's heat, that also is pretty normal, but it would help if you could give a temperature reading on it.

A variety of things could case your PC to reboot, the first that comes to mind....... you say that you play PC games and it also sounds like you have a fairly high end graphics card, you also mentioned that this usually happends in the video game, so I'd ask, what wattage Power supply do you have? (just for starters )

Also, what model Graphics card do you have?
    How many Case fans ect.

In fact, just so I can see if your PSU is supplying sufficient power, how about you just give all the specs of your machine????
    Last edited by Grim; July 25th, 2006 at 18:33 PM.
    One day I bled,
    And felt Better

Ya a full system spec would be nice for this problem.
    This problem has too many possible causes, and it is hard to get a sence of what is too hot etc. with out knowing what you are using.

For example:

A friend of mine has this very same problem (heating up but not too hot and shutting off) and we eventually realized an imperfection in his video card is causing the same problem. The imperfection, I think is the the gpu (graphics processing unit, similar to a cpu only for a video card) heat sink doesnt have enough thermal compound, although one of my friends thinks it is an actaully imperfection in the silicon waiffer.

hmm, not to shift off topic here, after all, the thread owner seems to have gone on vacation.. so,
    I must ask... have you tried getting a util to monitor the Graph card's temperature?
    Thing is, I really doubt the card's manufacturer would make such a a mistake.. as temperature averages are a priority of manufacturers nowadays.
    Was it resolved?
    One day I bled,
    And felt Better