Thread: McAfee and Norton

Bronze Member

McAfee and Norton

Several years ago when I started looking into Anti Virus programs the big contenders where Norton and McAfee. I fell into the Norton camp and then afterward decided to move on to other AV programs. I've downloaded a few "free" ones and have not had much success with them.

In thinking about adopting another AV program I recall not having heard of McAfee for some time. I know they are still around and active but are they as popular as they once where. I don't know anybody who has a McAfee AV program either. What's the scoop with them, if it ever came down to Norton and McAfee, is McAfee better? The Same? Worse?

As for other retail AV programs out there, what is preferable.

For those interested I downloaded AVAST and another AV program (panda??) and both screwed up my PC big time.

What about Kaspersky, it's available retail (Bestbuy) as well.

Thanks
    Halder

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I recommend NOD32, F-PROT and a freebie called AVG by grisoft. As for McAfee, I believe hotmail uses their software to scan all email... but I am not too sure if they are currently doing so.

My father-in-law uses McAfee on his PC and it works well...

Personally I think McAfee and Norton are all bloatware. I don't like how they've become the all in one tool for killing everything... and try to remove Norton from your PC... oh god.. it's horrendous.

It's like being infected by herpes.. sure you can remove the physical signs like warts and rashes, but it's still hidden deep inside of you and is never going away!

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Avast hasn't given me a problem since the day I made the switch.

Bronze Member
    "Getting rid of Norton is horrendous" I'll say.

I installed NIS 2005, had a system crash, reformated the hard drive and I think elements of NIS were still there, is this possible or am I wrong. The reason I say NIS was still there was that after reinstalling XP, I had emails coming in with "Norton Anti Spam" on them even before I activated NIS after reinstalling it and not activating the email functions at all.

Halder

Platinum+ Member
    Mcafee worked well for me (I used it for a year). I then reverted to AVG Free (I haven't had problems with it).

Mcafee is better than Norton.

AVAST and Panda shouldn't have given you problems - its recomended to not install multiple AVs tho.

AVG Free doesnt take up much RAM and does the job it was meant to do.
    Last edited by tarun; July 24th, 2006 at 11:46 AM.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I like Avast a lot.
    mcafee for enterprise, thought I haven't had luck having it managed (it could be a problem with our network thought)
    I liked NOD32 when I used it too. NOD32 and Avast are fast and light
    Thought for easy of use I would still recomend a home user Symantec or McAfee, even thought I don't like them. They require a lot of RAM and patience (mcafee slowed down my machine considerably when I had it installed, and it would slow my network connections so much that security scans from my pc failed) but that is a sign that it is watching a lot of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dehcbad25 View Post
    I like Avast a lot.
    mcafee for enterprise, thought I haven't had luck having it managed (it could be a problem with our network thought)
    I liked NOD32 when I used it too. NOD32 and Avast are fast and light
    Thought for easy of use I would still recomend a home user Symantec or McAfee, even thought I don't like them. They require a lot of RAM and patience (mcafee slowed down my machine considerably when I had it installed, and it would slow my network connections so much that security scans from my pc failed) but that is a sign that it is watching a lot of stuff.
    Yes
    I also use avast.I guess it is more sutable and lite for home users.

Right now I use Avast the online one. But this is an important subject to me and I went and did some research on the issue (research is to surf another forum--lol) I found something called Authentium and when I can afford it I think I might use that because it only uses 8.46 mb of space, since I have no room space is a key issue. It is not free but if you work as a developer or something like that they let you try it out. Here is the place http://www.authentium.com/developers/new_account.asp but the other free ones are definately worth looking at. Someone on here said that Kapersky is now free with AOL see this thread http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20468
    Last edited by bionicblond; September 23rd, 2006 at 12:56 PM.
    Knowledge indeed is power;
    Wisdom is knowing whether or not to act on Knowledge.

Speech is
    silver,but silence is golden.....
    Blondie

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Well, it just happens that after recomending avast so much I finally became an afiliate ( I am also working to see if I can do it with McAfee, Symantec and Panda as well) since I do a little of consulting work (it is quite slow at this moment, but gave me time to look at ways to expand the reach)
    Anyhow, I sincerely like Avast, use the home version, but if you want to buy the pro, it would not hurt to use my afiliate ID (200040580 included in the link)

*cought* *cought* Self pointing at myself