Thread: Firefox Online human help has no answer!

Firefox Online human help has no answer!

FF has been acting up. It used to be that when I clicked on the down arrow of the address bar I'd get a list of 10-15 sites I'd previously visited. Now all that happens is that clicking the down arrow just highlights any address in the bar. 1 url might appear.

When I wrote FF they suggested I try creating a test profile; I followed their instructions but all that happened was that when I clicked on the FF desktop icon, I got the message I should shut down the current FF app or restart my computer. I tried that, but got the same message. I then tried saving my bookmarks outside of FF and deleting/reinstalling FF. My bookmarks got saved and copied to the just downloaded FF version (the latest) but the address bar down arrow still only highlights any address in the bar.

The FF people said that if the Test Profile didn't work, the problem might lie outside of FF. They did not expand on that.

Now, today, I have tried 15 times to get through to a site by clicking on a link and by typing in the url in the address bar. Finally I got through to the site and got a key I needed in an email from the site that should have enabled me to download the free program I wanted. I again repeatedly failed to access the site. And suddenly when all I did was click on the FF desktop icon, a file called rar.rar (or something like that) appeared, it had downloaded but Windows didn't recognize the .rar file type. And the free program could only be accessed today no later than 6 PM ET July 30...so the jig is up there.

I was also unable to access the site using MSIE; however, I have had NO trouble today accessing tons of other sites with FF or IE by typing in a url or clicking a link.

What might the problem be if not FF? What can I try as a corrective action...any ideas?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

PS: It ain't my day. My $225 portable DVD player refuses to play anything but audio CDs, and the warranty ran out just before this happened. I'd press the F_ _ _ it key if I had one. On the bright side, I just had a wonderful 3-day visit with 2 of my sons and my two teenage grandchildren. We rented a motorboat and rode around the lake and visited its tons of tiny uninhabited islands and swam and ate a picnic lunch--beautiful weather.

Uninstall Firefox, use a registry cleaner and then re-install it. You won't loose your bookmarks or other settings.

If the problem with the down arrow on the address bar remains, check the setting of how long to keep history items. Since nothing is showing up when you hit the down arrow, I suspect that the setting has been changed to "0".