Thread: Systray question

Hi. My name is Michael and I would like to ask you a question about my systray population. I have almost forty programs that open and run during my computer time. I am running XP Tablet Edition OS, and I would like to find out how many of those systray programs I need at startup, and how many I can remove from startup.
    Thank you so much.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Hello embe (Michael)-

The only program that needs to be running in sys. tray is your Anti-virus and Firewall if using one other than XP's. IMO programs should only be started when you need them, started from desktop icons or through the program menu.

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame View Post
    Hello embe (Michael)-

The only program that needs to be running in sys. tray is your Anti-virus and Firewall if using one other than XP's. IMO programs should only be started when you need them, started from desktop icons or through the program menu.
    Good recommendation FG.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Ditto on that one.....

What about processes in my systray? How can I determine which are not needed or necessary? And how do I get rid of them? Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

I don't know what processes would be running in the system tray, do you mean the processes that show in task manager ?

Go to Start> Run> type in MSCONFIG and go to Startup tab. Everything listed there is running in the system tray (where your clock-time is shown). The only things that 'should' be running are Anti-Virus, Firewall, AntiSpy app that has realtime protection. Other than those, an option would be your sound adjustment. IMO nothing else should be starting up with Windows.

To control the startup items I don't use msconfig, I use either jv16 Powertools or RegCleaner (both free). There's a tab "Startup list", put a check in the box of the items to be removed and click remove. After I iinstall software I check this and remove anything thats added to the Startup.

For Windows services check this guide http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

For everything running in Task Manager it would be best to post a screen shot
    Last edited by FastGame; August 8th, 2006 at 15:04 PM.

Yes, they are the processes running in the task manager. There are a whole lot of them. When I start up my computer, I can watch them as they use up my computer memory. Usually they will settle down after a while, and I can use my computer. I have a gig of ram, so there is a lot going on there that I would like to get rid of. Will I find info on how to deal with these "processes" in the resources you mentioned? Many thanks for your help and suggestions.

I have a gig of ram, so there is a lot going on there that I would like to get rid of. Will
    Its not a bad thing to use ram as long as the process is needed, its bad (not really bad but a waste) if the process isn't needed. The bad thing about many processes is the use of CPU and if you lack ram, thats where the slow downs occur.

Go here and find out what all the things running in taskman are http://www.answersthatwork.com/Taskl...s/tasklist.htm. You can also type the process in Google search.

Once you get familiar with your legit processes, its easy to spot virus/trojans/spyware that security programs miss.
    Last edited by FastGame; August 9th, 2006 at 14:33 PM.

FG SAid
    "Once you get familiar with your legit processes, its easy to spot virus/trojans/spyware that security programs miss."

Thats What I'd reccomend really,
    When you have accomplished that, not only will you be able to recognize malware, but you'll also be fammiliar with what processes are crucial.

I'd also recommend that you learn about your services.
    They also take up CPU cycles, and many of them arent needed.
    One day I bled,
    And felt Better

I see I have a lot of work to do. Many thanks for all the help! I will let you know how I do.
    Not all who wander are lost!