Thread: System Crash Due to Ext. Hard Drive

System Crash Due to Ext. Hard Drive

Hey guys,
    I have a Seagate 160GB External Hard Drive and recently when I plug it into my laptop, my laptop just randomly crashes. It's not when I just plug it in, sometimes it works for a little while and then the laptop crashes, sometimes it takes 5 minutes sometimes 45 minutes, it's very strange. There's no blue screen of death, no warning, it just clicks off and goes black. Then when I boot it back up I expect to see the OS check for errors on the drives, but that doesn't happen it just boots up as if nothing every happened. I've never dealt with anything like this before, so if anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated. When I don't have the hard drive plugged in everything is fine.
    Thanks in Advance

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Is the drive connected via USB? If so connect it to a powered USB hub, then to the system.

The drive is connected via usb, but it's also got it's own power source so I don't think the power is the problem, I just finished defragging it so we'll see if that does anything

Well, now it seems that whatever's making my computer crash is now happening without the external drive, it's just randomly crashing, the fans just kick on hardcore and bloop, there it goes. Any suggestions?