Thread: Behavior I don't understand.

Mouse Behavior I don't understand.

Every so often; but over years I've noticed that (in Word) my mouse shows a hell of a sluggish response. So I replace the AA size battery and all is well.

But at other times, it shows the same sluggish response but when I measure the battery voltage, it reads a healthy 1.3 volts. Then, by the time I've measured the voltage and reinstalled the battery, everything is just hunky dory.

Do other people have this behavior from time to me. What's doing on?
    Last edited by rik; August 6th, 2006 at 19:56 PM.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Moved to hardware

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

I have to clean the track ball on my mouse from time to time as it gets dust bunnies that build up under it. It does display the same problem as you decribe. Worth a shot...

Yeah, I've tried that too and it has worked. But sooner or late I find no dust when I check but I still get, from time to time the briefly-lasting sluggish behavior I described. Buggers!

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    You people still aren't using an Optic Mouse?

Nope, it's a cordless Trackman Wheel from Logitech. If you are not familiar with it, you move the cursor around with a 1.25 diameter red sphere you manipulate with your thumb. You never have to move the mouse. Yes, very rarely, dust does clump inside the sphere, screwing things up till its removed. But I like not having to move the mouse and the lovely ergonomic design that fits my hand so beautifully.

There are tree rollers that the mouse ball rides against and operate. These rollers need to be cleaned as well as the ball. DRB

"Will Golf for Food"

But for me, the trouble is that after I've experienced the sluggish behavior, the jerky mouse movement or the slow movement, or the "cursor moves a quarter or one half inch and stops"; then after 10-20", say of my just waiting, not touching the mouse, everything is fine--and continues just fine for days on end. I've noticed it in Word as I said; the only other program I use frequently is my Eudora email and I am 9% sure it does not happen in Eudora. So I had tended to blame Word. But could something be wrong in Word? Could it maybe be a process suddenly choosing to run. Those two options seem not too logical considering the quick self-correction if it's not dust and if I simply wait. I have no recollection of its happening in Techzonez Message pages, but then I don't use that much compared to my use of Word.

It could be that you are using a resource heavy application on your system,I use a cordless optical microsoft mouse on my system and i notice the same issue especially when starting up apps like microsoft office and photoshop.Do you perhaps have another mouse you can test just to see if the problem is your mouse or something on the PC itself?

Hey bhxtyrant: I have an awful feeling you're right. It just seems to fit--especially what I wrote in my first (the first) post of this thread (especially the 2nd. paragraph)--if you didn't. In fact I suspected what you wrote from the start--and I feel you've basically confirmed my suspicion. Thanks.

I've noticed this on other machines too, with wireless mice.
    If you ask me.. its basically just that when applications demand too many resources, the snychronization of the mouse to your PC, is disrupted.
    Have you tried a normal mouse?
    One day I bled,
    And felt Better