Thread: NAV Needs to be reinstalled too many times.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar

NAV Needs to be reinstalled too many times.

Been having problems with blue screens and NAV 2006 needing to be reinstalled for the last 4weeks or so.At first MS error code suggested that I update my video drivers,which I did, and everything went off fine for several days,then I played Quake 4 and it blue screened again,suggesting to check my antivirus which turned up needing to be reinstalled to get back it's functional auto protect.The latest blue screen was today while browsing with Firefox.I got this from an MS popup screen;ACPI.sys F76150D7 base at F7614000 Datestamp 41107d27.I dug up some info that suggests that this has something to do with my cpu fan.It's a Thermaltake high end fan I installed with this A64 3000 processor,and has a variable speed control knob installed.Maybe it's all of the above,I don't know at this point.First things first,I am changing AV's from the Norton to Bitdefender and I will use the AMD stock fan for my A64 x2 4400 that's on it's way.I'm hoping that the video card and motherboard are not defective.I ran the Microsoft memory test and Memtest86 and memory had no errors. Any input on this?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I just installed Norton Internet Security 2006 (which includes NAV) two weeks ago and haven't had any problems. Installed off a CD. DRB

"Will Golf for Food"

Wow zipp I would have thought you would have realized the devestating effect Norton A/V has on a system.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebub View Post
    Wow zipp I would have thought you would have realized the devestating effect Norton A/V has on a system.
    I have only known of Norton being a memory hog and I figured with a gig of ram it would minimize any lag.However,I got my research on NAV from PC World,before I purchased and it's not the best and it's not the worst.I also bought Panda AV suite with a slightly better rating from the same mag and have no complaints yet.Bitdefender is #1 and sells for less so the results remain to be seen.NAV served me well and has claimed to have protected me from 72 and some odd thousand threats.I'm hoping it's not the hardware and is NAV so I can move on to blue screen free computing again.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    What does the Windows Online Crash analysis tell you? Check Event Viewer for more details...

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar