Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux Emulator?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Linux Emulator?

I had been considering setting up a Linux box, for the purpose of running Intel's C++ compiler - it's free for Linux but not for Windows. But setting up a whole distribution just for one application I'll use only occasionally sems a little like overkill - I don't have any real interest in Linux.

So the two options I'd be happy to explore are:
    1)Create a Linux partition in the free space on an existing disk, without having to wipe the disk and re-install Windows too.
    2)Create a Linux Distro on a CD
    3)Somehow run Linux applications through Windows.

Now I don't know if 1) is possible. 2) Is possible but then I can't install the compiler onto a CD-R!
    And as for 3), I'm sure you can run Windows apps through Linux - isn't that what WINE does - but what about the other way round? Since it's a compiler I'm installing then it will be run under Linux, to create & save a new Linux application which I would then also need to run.

Any help much appreciated. I don't have the time or interest to spend hours or days re-formatting my disks, fixing my existing setup, or tweaking Linux configurations. I want something fast and easy - I'm used to the "install & run" ideal of Windows. Please DON'T launch into any zealous *nix evangelism (not that I'd expect that on this site really).

Many thanks in advance.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Microsoft Virtual PC 2004

Discover the power of software virtualization and how it can help your business. Save time and money as Virtual PC allows you to maintain the compatibility of legacy and custom applications during migration to new operating systems and increases the efficiency of support, development, and training staffs.

Whether Microsoft virtualization technology is an important component of your existing infrastructure or you're just a Virtual PC enthusiast, you can now download Virtual PC 2004 absolutely free. Microsoft will also offer the free download of Virtual PC 2007, with support for Windows Vista, available in 2007.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Or there's VMware:
    http://www.vmware.com/products/free_virtualization.html

Both are good products.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I had been considering setting up a Linux box, for the purpose of running Intel's C++ compiler - it's free for Linux but not for Windows.
    Where can you get it for free ? or are you talking about the Trial version ?

http://www.intel.com/cd/software/pro...ers/278609.htm

http://www.intel.com/cd/software/pro...ers/219603.htm

Also:
    Operating System Linux* system with glibc 2.2.4, 2.2.5, 2.2.93, 2.3.2 , 2.3.3, 2.3.4, or 2.3.5 and the 2.4.X or 2.6.X Linux kernel as represented by the following distributions.

Note: Not all distributions listed are validated and not all distributions are listed.

* Red Hat* Linux 7.3, 8, 9
    * Red Hat Enterprise Linux* 2.1, 3, 4
    * SUSE* LINUX 8.2, 9.1
    * SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server* 8, 9
    * Fedora* Core 4

Linux Developer tools component installed, including gcc, g++ and related tools.
    If you can get it free and if it will run on PCLinuxOS (based on Mandrake ) ??? I could make you a LiveCD....
    Last edited by FastGame; August 8th, 2006 at 15:36 PM.

It used to be free, seems to have changed in the last couple of months - looks like I might need to check that out further.

http://www.intel.com/cd/software/pro...eng/219771.htm

It IS free after all, phew. I have absolutely no idea what flavours of Linux it will work on... since I'll be doing something reasonably complex - actually compiling and running new programs - will a Linux emulator/virtual machine work OK? I have heard of VirtualPC so I might try that - I basically want whichever is easiest to install and use without too much messing about. Can anybody advise me on performance with such software - does it actually emulate instructions or is it somehow doing something more clever?

Oh, and something I missed - I actually install Linux or whatever on VirtualPC as if it were a real PC... isn't that going to be even more problematic that a normal installation?
    Last edited by d000hg; August 9th, 2006 at 10:46 AM.

I have absolutely no idea what flavours of Linux it will work on
    In system requirements......

Operating System Linux* system with glibc 2.2.4, 2.2.5, 2.2.93, 2.3.2 , 2.3.3, 2.3.4, or 2.3.5 and the 2.4.X or 2.6.X Linux kernel as represented by the following distributions.

Note: Not all distributions listed are validated and not all distributions are listed.

* Red Hat* Linux 7.3, 8, 9
    * Red Hat Enterprise Linux* 2.1, 3, 4
    * SUSE* LINUX 8.2, 9.1
    * SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server* 8, 9
    * Fedora* Core 4

Linux Developer tools component installed, including gcc, g++ and related tools.
    IMO its best to dual boot Windows with Linux (SuSe), also very easy Make an Image of your HD before you install Linux, if you decide you don't want Linux and the Intel C++ (or mess things up ) then you can restore back to normal.

I have run several different OSs within a virtual environment and never seen any adverse issue with it, just make sure you have PLENTY of RAM.

IMO a 2nd hard drive with a full install would be the absolute best way (as fastgame suggested ) and if you don't want to dual boot, either swap drives out or get a hard drive switch. I know zipp51 found one and it's layin around here somewhere in another thread...
    Last edited by rik; August 9th, 2006 at 15:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    IMO a 2nd hard drive with a full install would be the absolute best way
    I think I've maxed out my IDE controllers...
    1)Hard disk.
    2)DVD Drive
    3)CD-writer Drive
    4)ZIP Drive
    5)Floppy drive

Actually I'm unsure how I have all these as it is- I thought each (E)IDE controller could have 2 devices as master/slave. Unless the floppy drive is a special case I don't understand - I'm sure I have only two(E)IDE controllers in my 6-year-old PC.
    Perhaps I could remove the (pointless now a 1Gb USB key costs less than a single 100Mb Zip Disk) ZIP drive and put in a 2nd hard drive?

Only your CD-ROM,s and Hard drives connect to your IDE controllers,the floppy has it's own controller which is a little smaller then a standard IDE connector.If you need another drive there are a few options you can look into.

1.)Get a PCI IDE controller card-they are pretty cheap now a days and allow you to connect 4 additional IDE devices i currently use one in my PC works like a charm.
    2.)Get a PCI Sata controller card-if you want to move towards the newer Sata hard drives.
    3.)Get an external USB hard drive enclosure-Probally the easiest option of the 3 if you already have a spare hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by bhxtyrant View Post
    You didn't suggest SCSI... is that dead these days?

USB would be easiest but wouldn't it be really slow compared to an internal drive?

I would quite like a bootable Linux CD or something. If I went that route, could I install Linux programs to my HD while running Linux of the CD, or would the disk not be recognised?
    If I had a bootable Linux USB key (say I copied a bootable CD onto a key) then presumably I could then just fire up FireFox and go download my free Intel compiler onto the key, which would be treated as the primary Linux partition?

I'm due to get broadband pretty soon, maybe then I'll download one of these 'magic CDs' and see what happens.

Yes, pulling the ZIP disk and putting in a hard drive would work just fine.

PCLinuxOS 0.93a Junior/MiniMe - would this work do you guys think?

That should work fine. Or Suse. For Ease of learning and use either will work IMO.

It should work, after you install PCLOS then go into Synaptic and install the Developer tools "gcc2.96-c++" which is required by INTEL C++ Compiler.

BTW, I see that PCLOS already has C++ Compiler (Developer tools), but I don't know anything about it or if its the same thing......