Thread: Core 2 Duo Motherboards?

Core 2 Duo Motherboards?

Hey folks, now that Core 2 is out. I'm planning on upgrading my P4 3.2 to a Core 2 CPU and i need help finding the right motherboard. I know intel has D975XBXLKR and i hear that Asus P5N32 supports it aswell. Does Asus have any new mobos out that support 16x SLI and Overclocking features? P5N32 is a little old and i'm wondering if i should just wait a while.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    my personal opinion would be to wait til have xmas. You'll get more bang for your buck.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phishhead View Post
    my personal opinion would be to wait til have xmas. You'll get more bang for your buck.
    I agree, your PC is still powerful enough for anything you'll do.

Upgrading to bleeding edge tech as soon as it comes out is expensive, the thrill isn't the same as getting a new girlfriend

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Like ^ you remember...

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I go to the Mall and pretend

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    oh oh I remember. but now if you can get me to forget about the ex-wife cause I know she reminds me each month.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    let's get some answers folks.

New motherboards are coming. I can't wait to upgrade to this baby.

For the time being you will want to research to get the best bang for your buck

This article does some very good eye opening reviews of current moterboards using core 2 duo

Conroe Buying Guide: Feeding the Monster

Egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Toms Hardware has a very cool review here,
    Six 975X Enthusiast Motherboards for Today and Tomorrow

Intel 975X Motherboard Battle, Spring 2006

From a platform point of view, the last few months have been rather slow. There have been no significant chipset innovations, and the processor speeds of both CPU players have not increased. This summer, however, things will change dramatically. AMD is on the verge of a significant platform transition that is starting now. For its part, Intel will replace its good old Pentium family with the all-new Core 2 processor family in the summer, as it works to be reinstated as the undisputed #1 processor company.

Read more

I tihnk I am going to get the Asrock budget board that can use my old agp and ram while I wait for motherboard prices to go down.
    http://www.asrock.com/PRODUCT/775Dual-VSTA.htm

I think I would choose the P5W DH Deluxe once prices drop and I will need to buy a pci express video card and ddr2 as well so the Asrock budget board is a great choice while I wait it out and the performance is great even though the chipset is agp8x and pci-e 4x.

Egghead
    Last edited by egghead; August 10th, 2006 at 18:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame View Post
    Upgrading to bleeding edge tech as soon as it comes out is expensive, the thrill isn't the same as getting a new girlfriend
    And really not advisable too.
    What if it has flaws/short-comings that are only revealed in the light of its compatibility with a NEWer technology.
    Also, as FG mentioned, its more expensive.. and will drop as time goes on, seeing that your PC is working sufficiently for you, personally I'd stick with mine for now.

In fact, PERSONALLY, id stick around for AMD's next release :P.
    One day I bled,
    And felt Better

Originally Posted by FastGame

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    And really not advisable too.

What if it has flaws/short-comings that are only revealed in the light of its compatibility with a NEWer technology.

Also, as FG mentioned, its more expensive.. and will drop as time goes on, seeing that your PC is working sufficiently for you, personally I'd stick with mine for now.

In fact, PERSONALLY, id stick around for AMD's next release :P.
    I think that older hardware may be better sometimes as restraints are created with new technology to prevent things (copyright or overclocking) you know the every day fun things we have become accustomed to.

Intel's new chipset supports unlocked processors but folks will start to realize soon that the early (hope...) new intel chipset will only overclock (officially) only the top of the line core duo's. The budget line will only be be able to underclock and that reason alone is enough to consider the other older chipset and older boards since they have no problems "Overclocking" budget Conroe Duo core chips I gather due to the fact they are built with older protection schemes

Egghead
    Last edited by egghead; August 10th, 2006 at 06:15 AM.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I'm still working with my Abit AV8 mobo which is a 939 socket board,and discontinued.I bought it for $115,added 1GB Crucial Ballistic(512x2) and got a Winny 3000 processor.Now I am waiting for my x2 4400 (less than half price now),so I can upgrade to another chip that is phasing out.As far as AGP graphics,my GT 6600 handles everything I have.I think this is it for a while,then when I get flushed again I can always get more ram. Will AMD be overtaken by Intel for the speed champ crown?Look here.http://www.byte.com/documents/s=9988...75/060715b.htm
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

i just did something stupid and bought a P5N32 Deluxe for $230 canadian. i was hoping someone would outbid me on ebay but never happened =P now i gotta pay up. well anyway, the P5N32 aint so bad. any thoughts on this board regarding Conroe support? i hope i wont regret this anytime soon

P5N32 SLI Deluxe: Since that time the original board has either been loved or hated by its owners. Over the course of time the board was revised with changes to the resistors to improve VRM performance along with numerous BIOS revisions that just never lived up to the results of our pre-release 0047. Issues ranged from poorer than normally accepted FSB overclocking results with premium components, memory incompatibilities with 4GB installations, RAID issues with various BIOS releases, and other items that generally tarnished the reputation of the board.

ASUS did listen to the user complaints and additional component changes were made on the board to improve stability - but the most significant changes occurred in the BIOS. While the options generally remain the same, the overall performance of the board (along with stability) has improved over the previous 1.02 version of the board with the 0310 BIOS.
    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2797&p=6

Nice board and excellent performer for conroe

More review
    http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/...nforce4ie.html
    http://www.nordichardware.com/Reviews/?skrivelse=467
    Last edited by egghead; August 10th, 2006 at 18:56 PM.

hmm.. it seems that there are 2 different versions of the P5N32. SE Deluxe and the regular Deluxe which i assume is the older model. I know that the SE supports Conroe but will the old deluxe still support it?

impulsive buying

you need to post the rev number to be certain. Rumour is that older boards with the chipset do not support the lower voltages used by conroe and thus cannot support conroe officially