Thread: Repairing XP system Files.

Repairing XP system Files.

This should be my next logical step. I screwed up the other day renaming My Documents Folder (Oh, I renamed it back alll right, but somewhere along the way I goofed.) So I now have a folder called My Documents in My Documents folder. That 2nd. MY Documents folder is the one that Word Files get put in when I click "Save" and where a jpg file I download gets saved if I say 'send to' My Documents.

Also I am finding my very recent install of Dragon Naturally Speaking is having trouble with Explorer--I frequently get the message when I try to run Dragon: "Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close." Then Dragon freezes.

Now michaelstevenstech.com has an excellent detailed-instruction page on how to do a repair of Windows systems files replacing them from files on the full version (not OEM) XP I have. This Repair is NOT a Recovery console deal; all the Repair does is to replace (thus effectively repairing) the system files; it does NOT install XP or touch any non-system files (apps; programs).

My question is this: Will such an XP system files repair (a "change as needed" I assume) wipe out the tons of Word files and picture files I created and stored in My Documents for convenience. Or should my Word and picture files in My Docs be untouched? I mean the My Documents content that I've put there are NOT themselves system files. I need a pretty defiinite answer on this point if that is possible.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    No way to give a definite answer but I can give the "canned" answer. Performing a repair or "dirty reinstall" as it used to be called SHOULDN'T touch data files...although I have seen data corruption after this. The potential is always there.

Always Always Always have your data backed up prior to doing anything with system files. If the data is important, back it up.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I would recommend putting your xp cd in and going to start->->->run and type SFC /SCANNOW this is a utility that will scan for corrupt system files and replace them from the cd. If it does replace any files and your cd is not xp with sp2 you will have to rerun the servicepack to get the files up to date.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    "SFC /SCANNOW" is one step behind XP Repair and almost takes the same amount of time. After SFC /SCANNOW you still need some M$ updates so....might as well backup data and do XP Repair.

BTW I've never had data corruption from XP Repair, but you never know.

Well, I ran the Repair thingy. AND EVERYTHING APPEARS TO BE NORMAL. No more "My Documents" folder within My Documents folder YAY! But Windows after deleting the system files and reinstalling the good ones from the CD, insisted on installing itself.

Why was that necessary? I mean I hadn't uninstalled Windows. It announced at 1 point that Windows would restart in 15 seconds, and I quick took the CD out because I mean, since Windows hadn't been deleted, why would it need the disk to start up? Then I got a screen indicating Windows was about to be installed and setup would complete in about 39 minutes. And there was also an INSERT DISC pop-up that said "insert XP disc and click OK." I hit "Cancel" and got another popup reading:
    "FATAL ERROR: An error has been encountered that prevents set-up from continuing. One of the components Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed. Operation cancelled by user." Here I used the X to get that pop-up to go away and boot started. Then an announcement saying Setup was being restarted and to please insert the XP CD.

So I put the XP CD back in and prayed that the process of reinstall in this instance would not end up wiping out all my desktop shortcuts and programs, or change my firewall back to Windows firewall. Or substitute Windows video and sound drivers for the audio and video soundcards I'd added. Clearly I needn't have worried but I never quite feel comfortable with Windows and myself when I attempt cures I've never done before. Too easy to make some innocent mistake and have to reformat and start from scratch. It took me 8-16 hours the last time I had to reformat to get everything back to normal. But the first time is always the scary one. Next time I need to repair, if ever, no problem!

I sure have benefitted from joining Techzonez. Thanks everyone especially moderators!