Thread: Microsoft wireless optical desktop problem - [FIXED]

Microsoft wireless optical desktop problem - [FIXED]

Hey guys,having a bit of trouble here with my Microsoft wireless Optical Desktop 1.0 keyboard.Two days ago the keyboard suddenly stopped working.At first i thought it may be a simple issue with the wireless signal so i attempted to change the frequency which had no effect,second i tryed new batteries (even though the ones in it were at full strength) which also had no effect.Finally i contacted microsoft who gave me the whole reinstall software,try connecting via USB ports,ect which also didnt help.

Now the weird thing is the wireless mouse that came with the keyboard and uses the same reciever works perfectly fine so i know the problem is the keyboard itself.my question is simply has anyone ever had this problem before?were you able to repair it?and if so how?I have had this keyboard/mouse set for a little over two years and loved it so far.Luckily i have a spare keyboard but i'd prefer my wireless one

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Possibly a problem with the receiver. I've seen the same thing with a Logitech wireless package. Mouse would work KB wouldn't until the receiver was replaced.

Thanks for the reply rik,Just a question if the problem was the reciever then wouldnt that cause issues with both the mouse and keyboard since they both use the same reciever?

Looks liek you were correct rik,I tryed the keyboard mouse with another microsoft reciever and works like a charm now.Does anyone know where i can find and purchase just the reciever?The reciever im using now is one that came with a Microsoft Optical Desktop Pro 2.0 kit but i find this keyboard more comfortable then the new one.

To be exact the part model it "microsoft wireless optical desktop receiver 2.0a" P/N: x09-77486
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; August 12th, 2006 at 19:42 PM.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I don't know if anyone sells just the receiver. Normally it's a package deal.

No chance of finding any repair tutorials to get the old one working again?I assume there cant be to much wrong since the mouse still works.

:EDIT:I fixed it! woot! ended up taking the reciever apart and cleaning up the circuit board.Now it works like a charm again
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; August 12th, 2006 at 23:45 PM.