Thread: y portable DVD player has quit but...

y portable DVD player has quit but...

it cost about $225 with an extra battery. Then there was shipping.

Also, the warranty had expired when it quit plus which that model is no longer made. The model is a GoVideo 8440.

Now, it hasn't completely quit. It will play audio CDs. But it won't play anything else. Go figure.

When I put in a Region 1 CD it turns, making a small clicking noise, and after about 60", it announces "wrong disk."

It seems strange indeed that it can play audio CDs but not DVDs. Is there a logical reason for this? I mean could there be a relatively easy fix? I mean in both types of discs, the information is still read by a laser, isn't it?

If someone has some input/suggestions as to whether it can practically be fixed for less cost than a brand new one (which would have, of course, non-matching batteries--and I'd need 2 batteries for an upcoming trip to Germany), I would sure appreciate their suggestions.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    The following link will give a good explanation of how an optical drive works. Sounds like the tracking device just isn't tracking on that media correctly.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/dvd6.htm

But howstuffworks doesn't say, of course, how to fix it. And would you think that maybe there could be maybe 2 tracking units, one for DVDs and the other for CDs and picture files, say?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I couldn't find exact technical specs on your device but I have never seen more than 1 tracking arm. Now some optical drives use more than 1 laser, 1 for cds and 1 for DVD, and some only use 1 laser which changes intensity depending on the media it detects in the drive. DVD requires a "hotter" laser.

We got a Panasonic DVD player awhile back for less than $100...so it's probably going to be cheaper just to replace it than to fix it.
    Last edited by rik; August 12th, 2006 at 22:03 PM.

My error--I meant to write "optical drives"...not "tracking arm."

Like all merchandise they come in a wide range of prices. Mine was $205 or $225 with shipping. It was 8.2". I spent $15 or 20 on af 2nd. battery, thinking of a flight to and from Germany. But now the unit is no longer made, so repair is not an option. 2 batteries useless...what a waste! I looked at another one that was 10.2" Insignia (IS PDVD10) and it seemed to have a higher screen resolution than the one I had. It cost $279 with battery; a spare battery that would play a host of different players was $69 at Best Buy. Well, I shall have to decide. Right now I have just started learning Dragon Naturally Speaking--I got that on sale for $100 off,. It's pretty damn neat!