Thread: Being net-connected: a point I'm not clear on.

Being net-connected: a point I'm not clear on.

IF THIS IS THE WRONG FORUM, PLEASE MOVE IT.

OK, my broadband modem is ON 24 lhours a day. And let's say I've just booted up my computer but that I have no browser open. I have a running firewall, I have a running anti-virus program and I have a router.

Question: From the point of view of the modem I'm connected through my ISP to the net (or am I?); but since no browser is active/open, am I connected to the net? I mean re this question, could I, if I had some good reason, SAFELY shut my anti-virus program down? I mean it's like neither browser is open and I'm about to install a program. And the install program will recommend shutting down ALL OPEN programs. Same situation...so again can I safely shut down my anti-virus? (In practice I usually ignore that "Shut down all open programs when installing" rule.) But is that wise?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Personally i never shut down my antivirus or firewall software,I am also a DSL user behind a router.As far as i always seen it reguardless of if a browser is open or not you are connected to the net.Not only your browser is what causes a connection almost every program on your PC at one point or another can connect to the internet including windows itself.So i view it as not safe unless you activily go to your connections manager and disable your connection.
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; August 15th, 2006 at 18:55 PM.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Thanks bhxtyrant! wumply.