Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard drive wiped out

Bronze Member

Hard drive wiped out

Hello

This is not my problem (THANK GOD), but my friend's.

She was going out with an IT bod with whom she parted on bad terms and they had 'words' last week. He previously had keys to her flat.

She got up this morning and found everything on her hard drive wiped out. She suspects that he managed to access her PC remotely and did this. Also she suspects he may now have access to her hotmail account.

1. Is it possible for someone to access her PC remotely without them knowing.
    2. Is it possible for him to access her hotmail account.
    3. How would she go about retrieving everything that has been deleted from her hard drive?
    4. How can she tell whether it was a virus that wiped everything out or if it was someone being 'nasty'? She has Norton's anti-virus?
    5. Any suggestions for revenge if it was the ex?

Thanks.

LouBee [I hope he cannot access my details just because I have been emailing her ]

1.)I don't know to much on this but i would assume that someone could if they had the right tools and knowledge to do so.
    2.)It is possible if he knows her password or "secret question" answer or knows how to hack hotmail accounts.
    3.)If the hard drive has been completely formatted then odds are it's doubtful to get her files back.
    4.)I have never known of a virus that can completely wipe a hard drive clean.When she starts the PC does she get anything at all?Does she get to windows then it locks up?Does it detect the hard drive at all?Or say "no operating system found on disk"?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    1. Is it possible for someone to access her PC remotely without them knowing.
    Yes
    2. Is it possible for him to access her hotmail account.
    Yes
    3. How would she go about retrieving everything that has been deleted from her hard drive?
    more than likely not possible.
    4. How can she tell whether it was a virus that wiped everything out or if it was someone being 'nasty'? She has Norton's anti-virus?
    If Norton was updated then its un-likely she had a virus that would wipe her drive. If she loves the guy then it was a virus, if she doesn't then it was him
    Yes, tell her to get a new man, who's well endowed, and not an IT techie

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    Fastgame's right. it is possible to retrieve the data, but that would entail getting another IT man since data recovery is very expensive. as far as revenge. I say blow up his car...seems to work in other parts.

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phishhead View Post
    Fastgame's right. it is possible to retrieve the data, but that would entail getting another IT man since data recovery is very expensive. as far as revenge. I say blow up his car...seems to work in other parts.
    Funnily enough, he's already accused her of smashing the windows of his car... odd thing was that apparently that same night, three or four royal blue Porsches in the street had their windows smashed, which meant it was her, according to him.

What I want to know is why were there so many royal blue Porsches in the same street... red or black ones yes, but royal blue???

Anyway, thanks for your help.
    Last edited by LouBee; August 14th, 2006 at 15:04 PM.

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    This man sounds abusive. Have your friend get an order of protection to keep him away from her and her computer. As to revenge, tell his boss what he's done and get his ass fired.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by piaqt View Post
    This man sounds abusive. Have your friend get an order of protection to keep him away from her and her computer. As to revenge, tell his boss what he's done and get his ass fired.
    It's true he is. He lied to her for the last two years and said he worked for M16, ie secret services, and got her to sign the Official Secrets Act. She has recently, ie a month ago, found out he works in IT, she doesn't know where.

Actually, if she's received emails off him from his hotmail account, could she not find out where he works, ie what his domain thingy is... (you can see how technical I am ).

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phishhead View Post
    Would using System Restore work?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    most likely you would have to take the hard drive out and slave it in another pc and use some recovery apps.

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by piaqt View Post
    arse, not ass. It's the British way.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    And Most proper you are BTW peturd

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by petard View Post
    arse, not ass. It's the British way.
    Oh is that what he meant, I didn't have a clue but was too polite to ARSK .

Bronze Member
    Learn how to secure your computer.

http://labmice.techtarget.com/articl...ychecklist.htm

- Use NTFS on all your partitions
    - Use passwords on all user accounts
    - Use a limited user account instead of an administrator account

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...n_account.mspx
    Last edited by Kane; August 15th, 2006 at 08:55 AM.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LouBee View Post
    Would using System Restore work?
    No.

If nothing else I get a chuckle each day while having my early morning coffee....it amazes me at times what goes on here.... .....what street does he live on....lol.....

Bronze Member
    How odd. She said she logged back on today and her hard drive and files are all there again! At the risk of Piper chuckling at me again, can someone do that remotely too?

Hey Piper, if I give you his address can you go around and ruff him up a bit She said she feels like killing him!
    Last edited by LouBee; August 15th, 2006 at 12:07 PM.