Thread: Message to the novice .....

Message to the novice

...and to those of us that think we know something about computers. I have been having some peculiar problems lately. They became apparent last week after a Windows update, a major update in AVG and after I downloaded Mozilla Sunbird to give it a try.

I thought that it was bad coding in one of these events at the root of my problems. Every fix attempt centered on trying to isolate which was at fault. Two very smart TZ members (how is that for sucking up) offered advice to fix the problem. I took some of that advice and believed that the problem was fixed.

Then today, my computer hung during boot. Second attempt xp started however several startup programs did not boot. What was happening? There was a thunder storm last night. Could that be the problem? No, that shouldn't be it. There are thunder storms all the time in this part of the country.

I have noticed through the years that it is not the brain associated with most computer fixes. They are usually more closely associated with a portion of the anatomy that closer to the ground. During a subsequent boot, I had one of those (ah ****) moments. Only half of my memory was registering. One stick of memory had worked itself loose. I had spent nearly a week trying to track down a software problem when it was actually related to hardware.

Lucky I have a sense of humor.
    Last edited by efc; August 15th, 2006 at 13:48 PM. Reason: trying to fix paragraph spacing

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    well atleast you have a sense a humor efc. If it was me it would be part of the fire pit alreadly like my last wireless keyboard and router.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    how is that for sucking up
    heh heh

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I never would have guessed it and it would have really messed with me had the same thing happened to me. Glad you got it solved efc. When it doubt, check your memory!

Haha indeed i think i would have chucked the thing out my 3rd story window.I came close to doing that quite a few times but i will remember this story if i ever have memeory issies

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I have been having some peculiar problems lately. They became apparent last week after a Windows update, a major update in AVG and after I downloaded Mozilla Sunbird to give it a try.
    Two very smart TZ members (how is that for sucking up) offered advice to fix the problem.
    I can't find any post by you of problems in the last 3 months Is this behind closed doors

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame View Post
    I can't find any post by you of problems in the last 3 months Is this behind closed doors
    Yes. Used PM's.