Thread: Ethernet adapter stopped working

Ethernet adapter stopped working

I have a VIA Rhine II ethernet adapter on an ASRock K7VM3 mother board that has been running almost continuously for two months with no problems. I came home and my computer was off. Probably a power outage but the other computers were still on so it was a fast one.

I restarted it and the LAN said that there was low connectivity and had an alert on the icon.

I reset my DSL modem. THe LAN enabled but said it was having difficulty establishing an IP address.

I have uploading going on- my weather station is sending data to the server.
    I have no downloading- no web pages and it wond connecting to my home network in either direction.
    I replaced the drivers with some from the site.
    I switched cables around on the modem to make sure it wasn't just that channel.
    I searched for network adapter issues from ASRock motherboards and came up with nothing.

I think something cooked the adapter.

A little different now.

The connection icon is looking ok in the task bar and when I open it up, there is data that indicates some downloading going on. IP addy looks good. Everything looks as it did.

I checked my weather site from the other computers and the data is correct and up to date.

Still no web browser (times out after trying to open requested pages) and no applications that need a connection like GameSpy and such. Even if I turn off my firewall. the other two computers on the same net are fine.

Now I think it's a settings issue. I don't know what I think.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    check your browser settings to make sure they are the same as before. Could be some of your settings, perhaps DNS addresses or something like that are not working. That could cause the browser time outs that you are getting.

DNS settings

All of the IP addys and gateways looked like they should. I ahvent' been into the modem control stuff to check that but if it were in there, I think I would have problems with the other machines too.

I may call Verizon and see if they can help but they're not known for their smarts.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    When you go to start/run and type IPCONFIG /ALL

What info do you get?

What happens when you try IPCONFIG /Release Or IPCONFIG /renew

?

Did you try checking the cables themselves? It could be something is wrong with the cable. I know you said you switched ports, but it could be something simple like a bad cable... but I highly doubt it.

If you have a PCI LAN card, perhaps try disabling the problematic NIC and try a new one. It could very well be a hardware issue but again I highly doubt it.

I know this might sound quacky, but did you think about trying a system restore (assuming you are using an OS with Sys Restore)? It may work, then again it may not... who knows.

Co-incidentally

I'm in Houston airport and I tried to hook up to the WiFI. Same thing. COnnect, good signal, a little bit of up and down load action in the properties window but I can't load pages or connect my messenger service.
    The troubleshooters say that there is no gateway assigned. I think I may be having the same issue at home.
    In Panama for two weeks so I won't be able to follow your advice till then. As long as my weather station is sending data to Wunderground, I'm good.

Cell phone as modem is doing this right now with no problems. High speed and dependable.