Thread: Multi-core systems - where are we at?

Multi-core systems - where are we at?

I see that dual-core chips are now becoming the standard from Intel and presumably AMD are very similar. My question is, is this the furthest you can get yet? Are quad-core CPUs yet in existence or would the only way to get a quad-core PC to get dual-CPU motherboard with 2 dual-cores?

Please don't mention hyperthreading - only multicore chips where it's effectively multiple CPUs on one chip.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar

Thanks! Although I wonder if it would be better to find an old quad-CPU server motherboard and 4 2.6GHz PIV CPUs?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    For the most part I don't know why the average user even needs dual core CPU's let alone quads

Hmm, 1 CPU core for email, 1 for messenger, 1 for media player and 1 for ?? oh and 1 for watching DVD's while doing the other 3 at the same time

rik has a bad a$$ dual Xeon server you can get them cheap on eBay and they kick a$$ with those SCSI HD's and tons of ram

One example and Another one BTW, both those have 3Dlabs Wildcat4 7110's, Check this out "Your Price: $1,115.99"
    Last edited by FastGame; August 18th, 2006 at 15:49 PM.

The average user needs a dual-core system as much as they needed a 3GHz system a couple of years ago - not a lot.
    Games will be be able to use multi-core systems well, and stuff like PhotoShop too - but most people don't such things!

I can say it's an exciting time from a software developer's point of view - we actually have to change how we write our code if we want it to run any faster on multi-core systems. We haven't had to do that for a long time, at least not to anywhere near as large an extent!

Ah but the SD's WILL write for it as each new game must progress, not just in playability, level design, GUI etc but in on-screen graphics. It cannot be marketed as 'cutting edge' without this progression. No bells and whistles - no 9/10 from games mag. Shame really, in my opinion depth of gameplay defines a classic not 8x AA. Plus it's increasingly harder to keep sys spec current, £300 for a new graphics card (or double for SLI) that's outdated virtually by the time you have fitted it. This, I believe, is called 'progress'. Ah well, such is life.

I couldn't agree more on the multiple cores aspect.The average user simply doesnt need it in most cases.As im sure we have all seen before the sales reps will always try and toss the most current hardware at users simply to make more money reguardless of the users needs.

However in some ways i can see the benifit of upgrading to multiple core CPU's.I personally wont be suprised if within a few years single core CPU's will probally hardly be used in PC's any longer.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame View Post

rik has a bad a$$ dual Xeon server you can get them cheap on eBay and they kick a$$ with those SCSI HD's and tons of ram

Yeah it's pretty nice. The only thing that I see at this point as an advantage is in the importing, conversion, and manipulation of video for creating DVDs. It's LOTS faster performing those functions.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    I can say it's an exciting time from a software developer's point of view - we actually have to change how we write our code if we want it to run any faster on multi-core systems. We haven't had to do that for a long time, at least not to anywhere near as large an extent!
    I agree.. i heard MS and Intel were providing some free courses / labs for multi-core programming techniques... large improvement over already great multithreaded apps.

Still havent seen 64bit dual core apps

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Intel are certainly trying to get people interested in multithreaded programming - they are running a few contests with some substantial prize money.