Thread: DVD Writer not recognised

Angry DVD Writer not recognised - NEC ND-3550A

I purchased a new DVD Writer this weekend and I've installed it, and although my PC recognises that it's there (in BIOS and on Control panel Hardware) I cannot burn anything with it.

First time around the Comp didn't recognise it was there, so I uninstalled all DVD and CD's in Control Panel Hardware and re-started the comp. I have noticed that it is also installing a Generic DVD SCSI CdRom Device which I disabled. Also, in My Computer the new DVD drive is listed as a CD Drive and when clicked it says its not accesible.

I've tried Nero and it doesn't recognise that the hardware is there.

My DVD reader is set to master and my DVD writer to slave.

Any suggestions? the drive in question is an NEC ND3550A 16x DVD±RW Dual Layer Internal IDE (Silver)
    Last edited by webdivauk; August 21st, 2006 at 22:28 PM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Hello webdivauk

Go back into Device Manager again and uninstall all the drives (including the "Generic DVD SCSI CdRom" ) reboot and leave things as detected.

Maybe your Nero needs updating to support the new drive ?

Set the DVD writer as Master and reader as Slave, writer on end of cable and reader in middle.

The NEC ND3550A is a popular drive and certainly one of the best, you did a nice job on that selection

Good luck & report back

One happy girl here! I tried all of the above but nothing seemed to work, then I decided to try burning a DVD via ITunes and hey presto, only neatly and quickly burned DVD.

It appears that Nero does need updating so I'll see to that later. The only thing I can't do is get Windows XP to burn stuff to DVD/CD using itself as software. Is there an option I have to enable which would allow XP to burn stuff via itself? I used to be able to click on a file, and on the RH side there would be an option to burn to disk or something to that effect.

It seems like a nice little unit. To be honest I purchased it because it was reasonably priced and silver in colour. But, ITunes takes an age to burn a DVD whereas it takes seconds to burn a CD, weird!

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Burning software sometimes conflicts with other burning software. ITunes may have taken over and isn't allowing the Nero to have any control of it.