Thread: Will it ever end?

Will it ever end?

I am beginning to feel a little like Joe BTFSPLK, the bad luck character from Lil Abner.

I have used a power center for many years. Two computers, two printers, monitor, router, modem and other gear are plugged into this center. The practice has been to turn on the master switch to start all this equipment. It has worked well since the middle 1980's. That all changed this morning.

When I flipped the main switch, there was a loud pop, and then nothing.

Reverend will probably grin when he hears that the only operating computer that I now have is a Linux box.

This is what I know for sure. The power supply in the xp computer was fried. I ordered one this morning. It should be he next Tuesday. Since I don't have a backup 24 pin power supply, I will have to wait until then to find out if the motherboard, cpu and memory survived.

To be continued next week:

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Ouch! Good luck efc.I'm using a KVM solution.I upgraded from an older model this year.2 comps,1 monitor,1 keyboard,1printer,1 scanner,1 usb dvd writer,external modems.I have my power center sitting under my monitor and I have had this one since 1993.I leave the power on all the time,master as well as individual.I don't see these power centers any more,maybe it's time to dump it.Might be overkill as far as surge protection.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Ouch that sucks big time,Umm a noob question as well.Is a power center one of the surge protectors with built in battery backup in case of power outages?

Just was wondering because i was thinking about getting one but this makes me think twice.I have always used a normal surge protector on my PC's but i never use the power button on the surge protector for turning the power to PC and components on and off.

Damn i can't imagine having that happen to me i have so much non replacable work on my PC it isnt funny almost 150GB worth.Hope it turns out well for you man.

tHAT MUST BE WHY EVERYONE TELLS YOU TO BACKUP YOUR WORK !

Lol thats the thing it is backed up on my 120GB drive in my PC but if the above happened and the hard drive with backups gets damaged then that would be hell afterall it's not like you can backup that much Data on a DVD-R

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Damn efc.....that really sucks man.....keep fingers crossed it may very well have stopped at the PS......good luck.....

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

that bites, but at least you know that 1 box survived.

Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post

that bites, but at least you know that 1 box survived.
    Yea, but it was the 850 Hz Duron. It is a little behind the curve.

Quote Originally Posted by bhxtyrant View Post
    Just was wondering because i was thinking about getting one but this makes me think twice Just was wondering because i was thinking about getting one but this makes me think twice
    I used that thing for almost 20 years. I bought it for my new x386 computer. As rik described, it sat under my monitor. It had a master switch and 5 on/off switches for other components. It was also supposed to have some surge protection capability, however it probably wasn't very much. The switches were the old mechanical type. I am sure the newer ones use electronic switches which should give a lot less punishment on your equipment.

Yesterday, I chose a 3600 joules, 15 AMP surge protector. It has 10 outlets on it, of which I am using 9 of them. It also has surge protection for my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by zipp51 View Post
    I'm using a KVM solution.
    I also use a KVM. Great piece of equipment when using more than one computer. It is also valuable when you are working on computers. You can connect the new one without turning off the rest of your equipment. That is a real time saver.

By the way gang. Don't feel too sorry for me. If the power supply doesn't solve the problem, the replacement will be an AMD 64 socket 939 motherboard and cpu.

UPDATE: New power supply solved the problem.

Glad to hear you got it all working efc

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by efc View Post
    UPDATE: New power supply solved the problem.

Get the new mobo and chip anyway.What the heck,you deserve it.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by zipp51 View Post
    Get the new mobo and chip anyway.What the heck,you deserve it.
    Strange, my wife doesn't agree with that. I even showed her your comment. Don't know what she said. She was mumbling at the time.