Thread: Page centering on screen

Page centering on screen

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can help me with my website please?

http://johkaz.byethost10.com/

I have had some help with making it, but i can't find out out how to get the screen and page centred. I used Frontpage 2002 to assemble it, so i have a very limited knowledge of the actual coding that it contains. My screen on my computer is set at 1152 x 864, and i want to get it centred to that, and if possible screen resolutions below it.
    If it needs the coding changing, can some please explain it to me in laymans terms.

Many thanks in advance.

Gary
    Last edited by Johkaz; August 26th, 2006 at 17:06 PM.

As far as I can see, you've already handled the centering problem, haven't you? Although I'd recommend you make a page stretching to the browser width. This can be a little tricky, but if you manage, it would look awesome.

To do this, you must specify the table widths not in pixels, but in percents. I don't know if you can do that in a program you design your page in, but it's worth a look.

Reply here if you want to know more.
    "Oh, sorry, I was taking life seriously!" - Bill Hicks

Hi,

I do apologise for not posting back with the results.
    Regarding the page widths, if it can do it, it would be nice.
    But, i am unsure how to do this with Frontpage 2002.
    As so far to get the pages to this stage i have had to get a lot of help.
    As i know very little of coding, and what i have done i have had to sort of be taught it.
    I am still amazed at myself, because 8 months ago, i had no idea at all about how to use Frontpage.

Thanks.

Gary

Edit: oops I posted without reading the entire thread, by the way the ultimate solution here is to learn HTML and some javascript or other scripting language. Good Luck.
    Last edited by beelzebub; September 6th, 2006 at 15:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beelzebub View Post
    Edit: oops I posted without reading the entire thread, by the way the ultimate solution here is to learn HTML and some javascript or other scripting language. Good Luck.
    That's a really good advice, no sarcasm intended

Johkaz, you should try to look inside the pages you make with the "View Source" option in the browser. You know, make a page with almost no content and see how it's done inside. I, for example, sometimes see the source code for the sites so that I'd be able to reproduce (do not read "steal") some fancy things.

And to stretch your webpage try to setting the width parameter in your main table to 100%. This is how it is done now in your page:

<!-- REST OF BODY CONTENT BELOW HERE -->

<table ALIGN="CENTER" WIDTH="984" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" background="background9_1.gif">
    Try changing that to:

<!-- REST OF BODY CONTENT BELOW HERE -->

<table ALIGN="CENTER" WIDTH="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" background="background9_1.gif">
    Of course, you'll have to manually upload the index.html page to your FTP, but try it anyway. Reply here if something goes wrong. If you'll like what you get, you'll have to change this property in every page of the site.
    "Oh, sorry, I was taking life seriously!" - Bill Hicks

Hi,

I think i have foobarred it...
    I tried the line you said, and when i checked on my son's computer, i didn't like the large press buttons for the links to the pages.
    So, i went to change it back, but i had saved the changes i made, so i could upload it to the FTP server.
    I changed what i thought was the right "984" code, but now i no longer get the Index.html page centred when i Preview it.

Gary