Thread: Removing andl inserting cards to fix a problem.

Removing andl inserting cards to fix a problem.

After a reinstall--a clean reinstall of Windows lately--it appeared that my AGP card was messed up. A tech recommended, as one option, removing and reinstalling the card.

Why might that make a difference?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

If you're talking about Physically removing the card.. then putting it back into the PC,... thats just resitting, and It would correct the problem if the card were just not sitting properly, Thats a common problem, and many times it may seem fine.. when its not.

If you're talking about physically removing the card... then reinstalling the drivers... that doenst make any sense.
    Save the situation where you're uninstalling the driver, making your PC boot without the card (to let it see that there's no need for that driver) and then installing both the card and its drivers, theres not much sense it what he told you to do really.

Is the card showing when you turn your PC on? Or not at all?
    What I reccomend doing is trying another card, if you get it working.. then you know its not your system. At that point, you could try YOUr card in another PC and see what happens.
    Give it a shot.. and tell me whats up.
    One day I bled,
    And felt Better

I recently had to do a clean install of XP to get Dragon Naturally Speaking to load without problems. That took care of the Dragon loading problem. However when I reinstalled the drivers for my AGP card from the CD that came with the card, videos were ALL MESSED UP...unwatchable. Assuming that that problem involved the AGP card, I called ATI. They recommended removing and reseating the card, no reason given, and I hadn't asked why. They also recommended getting the latest drivers for the card.

Later I wondered why removal/reinsertion alone WOULD make a difference-hence my post. (My son has also suggested that action) so I was doubly curious as I could not see any logic to it--when the card had been working just fine before I had the Dragon problem.

As things turned out, my XP CD was prchased in July 2002, when the then-current Windows Media Player Version 9 was on it. (I had since upgraded to WMP 10). Apparently 9 didn't have the codec needed to play the BBC and MSN videos I was trying to play. Once I installed 10, the videos played just fine.

So I think the advice to unseat and reseat the card was, in this instance, just imprecise. Advice is incomplete; assumptions get made. (I shouldn't talk about assumptions having just made one myself!) But when the advice seconded my son's, I began to wonder IF for some reason of which I was unaware, it was a logical step.

Hope this is (more or less at least) clear.

________________________EDIT_______________________________________________

Forgive me.. I OBVIOUSLY wasnt reading your post properly, I overlooked certain details in it lol. I'm sorry.
    It would seem they you're having some sort of rendering problem. If it is that the card is working properly (showing the desktop ect) but you're just having problems watching this video, then the advice given by those people wouldn't really help a case like this at all.

As out freind down at the bottom there said, the problem would most likely lie within the need for a codec. Have you tried using any other players?
    I would reccomend downloading VLC player, a small but brilliant little media player that has a tonn load of built in codecs, and try playng the file with that.
    Last edited by Grim; August 28th, 2006 at 04:54 AM.
    One day I bled,
    And felt Better

Quote Originally Posted by wumply View Post
    I recently had to do a clean install of XP to get Dragon Naturally Speaking to load without problems. That took care of the Dragon loading problem. However when I reinstalled the drivers for my AGP card from the CD that came with the card, videos were ALL MESSED UP...unwatchable. Assuming that that problem involved the AGP card, I called ATI. They recommended removing and reseating the card, no reason given, and I hadn't asked why. They also recommended getting the latest drivers for the card.
    First thing i will ask is what kind of video's exactly?Are they from a DVD?or a video file you downloaded?Did you install the correct video decoding codecs on your PC thats allows you to watch them?

Besides video does the card work fine for normal operations?Such as working with programs and such?

@Grim
    Dragon Naturally Speaking is a voice recegnition program that allows you to speak via a mocrophone and it types what ou say.