Thread: Network routers and port forwarding

Network routers and port forwarding

Now, before I say something, I gotta state that I don't actually know the whole picture and I'll try to explain things as I understand them.

Just recently I've got my flat wired up with a cable-modem internet connection. It's a Motorola Surfboard cable modem that, as I imagine, sends and receives data from a central network router that later directs traffic to outer servers.

Now, as you already know, most bittorrent clients state in their manuals that to get maximum seeding and leeching efficiency you have to be connectable. As I get it, that's the state when you can have an external server connect to your torrent client through some port.

I tried contacting the technical support of the network that provides the connection and asked whether they could set up port forwarding for me without giving me an external IP address. They said that it was technically possible only for one session until the internal dynamic IP address is reassigned (I figured that this is until I reboot).

Is there some way I can get connectable in this situation?

Thanks!
    "Oh, sorry, I was taking life seriously!" - Bill Hicks

I have a couple questions.

Can you download anything via torrent? If you can, Then the way to tweak speed is to increase uploads. That is a function withing the torrent application that you are using.

Do you use a router? If you do need to open a port then it should be covered in detail in the router manual. I had to go to the internet to find this information.

If I am not understanding your problem, try again. As I see it, if you can download by torrent at all, you have a connection.

Quote Originally Posted by efc View Post
    I have a couple questions.

Can you download anything via torrent? If you can, Then the way to tweak speed is to increase uploads. That is a function withing the torrent application that you are using.
    Yes, I can download everything with my torrent client, only when I try to check the connectable/not connectable status with port connectable check, it says I'm not connectable. I guess that means that the port is not forwarded by the ISP's network equipment.

Do you use a router? If you do need to open a port then it should be covered in detail in the router manual. I had to go to the internet to find this information.
    No, I'm not using a router in my apartment, I only have a cable modem. I'm guessing that there's a router there, in the ISP's data center that's actually connected to the internet.

If I am not understanding your problem, try again. As I see it, if you can download by torrent at all, you have a connection.
    Yes, I have a connection, but, as I can understand, the torrent client is running in something like a passive mode. So hypothetically when I'd try to seed some stuff, other users wouldn't be able to connect to me.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    if your not behind a router than thats not the issue of portforwarding. My only guess would be a firewall not allowing outgoing packets.

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead View Post
    if your not behind a router than thats not the issue of portforwarding. My only guess would be a firewall not allowing outgoing packets.
    Hmm... Do you mean the firewall on my PC or some firewall on ISP's server? I'd really appreciate some help with that, because I don't really know how all this works in detail.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    yes on your pc. try disabling it and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead View Post
    yes on your pc. try disabling it and see if that helps.
    Nah, it wasn't the case. Thanks for trying to help me, but as I came to know yesterday, the ISP's router assigns dynamic IPs to each PC. And it is impossible to make it forward ports in this case. The only way for me to open ports for incoming connections would be to buy a static outer IP, although in this case it would leave my PC's ass open for inbound attacks

I'll think about it