Thread: Intel Duo's - obsolete technology?

Question Intel Duo's - obsolete technology?

Hi All

I've been trying to ascertain whether the new Intel Duos are 32-bit or 64-bit. There's nothing I could find on the Intel site, which leads me to suspect that they are 32-bit. This being the case, what on earth are they doing foisting obsolete technology on us?

That not being the case, how do they compare against AMD - again, I've found no useful information regarding this.

Lastly, could it be that the Intel Duos being put into current Windows PCs are the same as those going into Apple Macs? By the same, I mean identical. Clearly, if the Duos are 32-bit, wouldn't that pose a problem for the Mac 64-bit operating system - perhaps that could even be partly why they are having to release a new version to run natively on Duos? If Duos are 64-bit, does that mean a Windows user could theoretically have a dual-boot system with XP and the new OS X?

Serious thoughts and comments welcome...

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    This will answer some of your questions.http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/intel/...ers-153822.php

Windows 64 bit will cause a lot of people to purchase that new printer,scanner etc.I know that my perfectly good HP Scanjet 4300C,and Canon S750 will not work on XP 64 bit OS.And what is more,HP and Canon have no intentions to write new drivers for these discontinued products. Anyway personally,I think Intel is just getting ready for the new wave of 64 bit hardware and processing,and not really hiding anything.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Thanks for that. So, do you think that means these chips are somehow "hobbled" to 32-bit now? Or is it more that they will operate as 32-bit when needed then "swap up" to 64-bit if they detect a 64-bit system? It seems very odd that Intel would "intentionally" hide the fact that their chips are 64-bit. I purposely recommend AMD 64-bit CPUs to my customers as I don't want them to be caught out when they upgrade to Vista (whenever that might be... ), and have "chosen" AMD as my CPU of choice accordingly. (of course, I like the thought of owning a CPU by a manufacturer who is the "little guy" taking on the "huge corporate monolith ) All that as it may be, if in fact these new Intel's are 64-bit, I may need to seriously consider my position!

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    They aren't hiding anything. They support both 32 and 64 bit OSs.

Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    They aren't hiding anything. They support both 32 and 64 bit OSs.
    No, but they certainly arent shouting it out now are they?

Its a known fact, currently, AMD has the best CPU. They know this, but of course.. this is the trend , they will come out with something they claim to be better soon.
    One day I bled,
    And felt Better

Actually it's a known fact that Intel's duo conroe chip beats out the mighty FX62 from AMD.I'm an AMD fan,so I think it's not over till it's over.Here is a recent article.http://news.com.com/Intels+Core+2+Du...3-6094356.html
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Thanks for your input. So, at the top end the Duo 2 beats the top end AMD. What about the mid-range stuff? Do you think the new AM2 chips will compete ok on dollar price-point? I noted that "slower" clocked AMD 64's always beat higher (usually more expensive) P4's by quite some margin, even in just mundane "day to day" stuff (let alone anything like multimedia etc). I read the article you posted the link to: it makes it sound like the Duos are more price-competetive / beat AMD performance at the top end - what do you think?

I've got an older mobo,an Abit AV8 939,and presently have a Winchester 3000 A64.I purchased an A64 x2 4400 about a month ago,but haven't put it in yet.As soon as I install and test I will post as to the performance difference.The Winny 3000 with 1GB mem is slightly faster than my XP 2800+ with 512 HyperX mem on the Asus A78NX platform board.That is for applications,but for gaming,the A64 really outshines the XP2800.I think you will get real value with AMD since the big price drop,but as it always goes with the two chip makers it comes down to "Are you an Intel or AMD fan."There are just too many chips and platforms to choose from,and they are all good enough even at the low end,for everyday computing.