Thread: Switching between 2 headsets

Switching between 2 headsets

My headset, which I use for talking to my son with my video chat program, plugs in to the soundcard of my computer. No problem there but I just got Dragon Naturally Speaking and it has a different microphone headset and it is much lighter and much more comfortable for dictation. It too plugs into the same jacks on my soundcard.

Does anyone know of a unit that would allow me to plug both headsets into one unit and in turn connected that headset into the soundcard jacks? I'm assuming that such a unit would have a switch on it so I can easily switch back and forth between the two instead of unplugging one and plugging the other in.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

This is what I use. The difference is that I use it with speakers and a headset.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...631981&CatId=0

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    You need this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...245199&CatId=0

Leave the female end on the desk (or mount some where) and plug the headset you're using in. Works fast as a switch.

Guys...thanks, but I still prefer what I tried to describe--not sure how well, I did. So let me try again. I want a little unit that would have a simple switch. Into one end I would be able to plug the two leads from 1 headset and into the other end, the two leads from the other headset. Then two leads would come out of the unit and plug into my mic jack and my speaker jack on my soundcard. And I'd not need to get up and go around back and connect the headset I wanted to use. I'd just flick the switch. Fastgame, I'm not enthusiastic about loose cords on my physical desktop...at least not yet.

One idea suggested to me was to install a 2nd. sound card and use my mouse to switch between them.

I may have to compromise but I'm not at that point yet.

Any comments, Anybody?

Maybe I can find a very nice AND LIGHTWEIGHT headset with sound in both ears. I find that fhelpful as I've lost some hearing in both ears. (The lightweight one with sound in only 1 ear came with My Dragon Naturally Speaking program;I wrote the company, Vansonic as they didn't show a "both ears" headset at their site. Has anyone had any experience with a VERY light AND comfortable headset with sound in both ears--not horribly expensive but wellmade? With that I'd give up using my heavy and bulky "both ears" headset.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I use a lil cheap arse Logitech one from Wally World, that has sound in both ears and a mic, and it works just fine.

I looked at the Logitech headsets online, rik, but didn't like any I saw--they all had very short booms, and Dragon strongly recommends the mic should be very close to your mouth, a finger's width away.

Fastgame: thanks for your last 2 links. I checked them out but in a hurry. I'll probably go back. Life would be simple if I had normal hearing...I note that the volume I hear increases noticeably with the sound in both ears. My box with 2 inputs and 1 output would have been so cool but probably no one but me would want such a device.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Sorry I don't know what model mine is but the mic is pretty much right in front of my mouth. The boom on the mic isn't short at all. And it was only about 20 bucks.