Thread: For zipp51 (PCLinuxOS kernel)

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar

For zipp51 (PCLinuxOS kernel)

I see in another thread that you now have your A64 x2 running.

In PCLinux you'll want to run the optimized kernel for your CPU

In Synaptic find and install "kernel-smp 2.6.16.27.tex1.smp"
    i686 32bit smp 2.6.16.27.tex1.smp kernel (4GB highmem)
    This package contains an SMP build of the Linux 2.6.16.27.tex1.smp kernel
    which supports upto and including 4GB of system memory (via highmem). It is required
    only on PCs with more than two CPUs or dual core cpus (up to and including 4), although
    it should work fine on single-CPU boxes.
    Now when you boot the new kernel will be one of the options, choose it if you want to run it over the default one.

Or

After it installs go to Menu> Configuration> PCLinux Control Center. Once inside control center go to Boot> Configure boot loader, the first page (boot loader main options) just click next and the second one will show all the boot options, highlite the new kernel you just installed, hit modify and put a check in the box that says default. Now when you boot it'll automatically load the new faster kernel.

Don't uninstall the old kernel, you'll need it so all your ReMastered LiveCd's will work on other PC's.

Enjoy your new, faster, more powerful, "Happy Linux"

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Thanks FG,had me worried there for a while though.After I chose the new kernel as default the boot process froze up.I tried the old kernel and same thing.I guess I picked the wrong suffix entry.There are two enries,one with 2.6.16.27.tex1.smp,and one with 2.6.16.27.tex1.lve.The one with .lve is the one that booted.I went back to the control center to make that the default.I was amazed at the boost in performance with the new kernel.PC Linux is fast.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Hi zipp, isn't this fun anyhoo I don't think PCLOS froze on boot, just seemed that way....When you first boot the new kernel it has to re-detect everything, configure and load modules, takes awhile to do this, after the first boot all will be ok and fast.

You should be using the "2.6.16.27.tex1.smp" kernel.

What video card do you have ?

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame View Post
    What video card do you have ?
    I have a Leadtek 6600GT AGP card.I chose the default GeForce 6 drivers.Oh and it is fun there FG.
    Only new problem I'm having right now is with Firefox.I was trying to play real player content from the Patirots website in FF and got errors.Same thing in Opera,but it played fine in Konqueror.I uninstalled MPlayer in Synaptics and Opera now plays the content with Realplayer but still doesn't in FF
    Last edited by zipp51; September 3rd, 2006 at 20:08 PM.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.