Thread: Newb question

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar

Newb question

Well,I finally installed PC Linux to my #3 drive.It seems ok so far,but I have been trying to install an antivirus I downloaded from the web with no luck.I saved the file as an rpm(whatever that is),but how do I install? Double clicking on it windows style does nothing.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Right click on the RPM and choose install with Kpackage, if you don't have Kpackage then get it through Synaptic "kdeadmin-kpackage"

Its not a good idea to install outside RPM's, if you want something thats not in Synaptic then post it at PCLOS forum under "Package Suggest". They are good at adding things as long as the software isn't going to mess up Linux.

QtF-Prot and Clamav are in the repositories (Synaptic), F-Prot is good, Clamav is not so good.

I don't think you need AV in Linux. If you want to protect Linux then get "rkhunter" (in Synaptic), if you want to protect Windows then let the Win AV do it.

Check this out http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=144271

When it comes to spyware, virus, trojans, worms, Linux is boring...not much going on in this area
    Last edited by FastGame; September 2nd, 2006 at 12:24 PM.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Being boring in the virus etc. area is a good thing.I'm a little tired of keeping up with the stuff.Oh,by the way FG,is PC Linux a 64 bit operating system?And thanks for the info about syaptic.Now I have to figure out how to install that stuff in the repositories.Happy Linux.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    PCLOS is 32bit

To install stuff with Synaptic is easy as pie. Menu> Configuration> Packaging> Synaptic Software Manager. You'll type in root password and Synaptic will come up, then hit "Refresh" to make sure all new programs and updates are loaded, "Status" button tells you where you stand on updates, programs installed/not installed. After that mark what you want, click apply and Synaptic downloads and installs it for you.

The hardest part about Linux is getting to know the new names of programs, if you click on the program (in Synaptic) it gives info so you know what it is-does

Being boring in the virus etc. area is a good thing.I'm a little tired of keeping up with the stuff
    No more worries

Happy Linux.
    Yes

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Happy Happy Joy Joy