Thread: D-link = connection problems (long explanation)

D-link = connection problems (long explanation)

Hey guys!

Here are my troubles.

I decided to upgrade my wireless router to something that might actually work with a Mac without having to reboot. I used to have a Canyon wireless accesspoint of some sort. A total of 5-6 computers connecting to the network, 3 wired, the rest wireless.

So I got a D-link di-524. Cheap, have had some experience with d-link before. I tried connecting the router straight to the modem and it came alive. But, the problem was that the connection would reset every 10-30 seconds, which doesn't quite work for me. I couldn't figure out what was causing this, so I thought I'd try putting my old (ericsson) router in the mix and having the new 524 not give out ip addresses. This seemed to work just fine. The wired pcs can't tell the diff and the wireless works better than before, except the fact that i can't access "home" (192.168.0.1). (ipconfig shows it is the default gateway).

Why am I not able to access the D-link router? and/or What could've caused the connection dropouts/resets with the first setup I tried? I would rather take the old router out of the picture and just use the new one.

Thanks in advance!
    mrA
    Repeat after me: I WILL use Google before asking stupid questions.

Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    You can't access 192.168.0.1 from any of the PCs?

Not at all. At the moment only the laptops are hooked up to the D-link 524 and they can't access 192.168.0.1.

I've yet to try a firmware update. My box says it's ver 2.03 and that is the latest update for the rev. b.

Any ideas?

*in case someone else has the same problem in the future... I'll continue in my quest for an answer to this problem.

I tried a firmware update. I don't think it did much to resolve the situation.
    I put the new 524 in place of the old one again. It still messed around with resetting my connection again (Now more frequently) In looking at the logs in the event viewer I saw that 2 of the laptops were fighting for the same ip.... I'm not sure why the router would try to give us both the same ip anyway. So, I manually configured each computer with a specific ip. NOW they all work just fine. Yay!

They way I have it configured now is like this: The cable from the modem is connect to slot 1 instead of the WAN slot in which it should be. Then the 3 wired computers are all connected to the rest (2, 3, 4). With this option the net works fine for all wired and wireless. BUT I cannot access 192.168.0.1.
    If I put the modem cable in the WAN slot I cannot access the net, but I can access 192.168.0.1.

Anything?

It's so not funny that the simplest things seem to elude us the most. Grrr

The confict was in subnet addresses... The LAN and WAN subnet addresses CANNOT be the same. They were both 192.168.0.1, hence causing a conflict of some sort. Now I'm glad to report that everything is peachy. No IP conflicts, no resetting connections, no slow laggy net.

*sighs* technology...