Thread: FREE Kaspersky's AV 6.0, AOL Active Shield

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar

FREE Kaspersky's AV 6.0, AOL Active Shield

http://www.activevirusshield.com/ant...eav/index.adp?

KAV for free! man-O-man go get some

Tip: When you install uncheck the box for AOL tool bar, unless you want the tool bar.

Gold Member
    Is this a superior AV compared to free AVG ?

Quote Originally Posted by mike13 View Post
    Is this a superior AV compared to free AVG ?
    Yes, not even close. Kaspersky AV (which is what this is) is always at the top in detection. For free you can't beat this

Other than detection there's other reasons to use/not use an AV, depends on how they run on your PC.

light AV's for older systems

Fast, I have an old grandma system. Will she be able to use Kaspersky and more important will AOL secretly load useless junk on my computer? I have 477mhz 4gb 160 mb of Ram, don't laugh! I know I really need to upgrade. I think I will eventually add another harddrive.
    Anyways, I need a very light AV, preferably for free, do you know of any. Is Kaspersky a light one or is it a resource hog? I have seen some but they will cost me money that I don't have in light of my recent mouse and sound card purchase.
    Knowledge indeed is power;
    Wisdom is knowing whether or not to act on Knowledge.

Speech is
    silver,but silence is golden.....
    Blondie

Hello bb

The AOL AV doesn't install a bunch of AOL crap I imagine thats what most people are afraid of......

When you install the AV there's an option for the AOL tool bar, don't install the tool bar

Kaspersky isn't really a " resource hog" but its been known to slow down PC's because it isn't one of the fastest in scanning. Version 6 is lighter and faster than the previous versions, its much better.

I have 477mhz 4gb 160 mb of Ram, don't laugh! I know I really need to upgrade.
    On that system I wouldn't use an AV with Real Time Protection, or if I did it would be something like AVG, Avast or F-Prot. Avast would be easy because its modular, when you install do "custom" and only install the on-demand and mail scan.

For your system I have a better solution than running AV's and anti-spywares. Dual boot your Windows with a light running Linux Distro or run a Linux Live CD. You could use Windows for your school work (office) and use Linux when you do internet, mail and chat. You'd be pretty safe against infections this way.

If you could tell me what type of memory is in the PC, PM me your address, I'll send you (in good Techzonez fashion) some more ram and a much larger HD. I'll also make you a Linux Live CD that you can run from the CD-Rom or install to the HD for your dual boot.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    ok, I need another GB of Registered ECC mem and a couple of 500 GB SATA drives...

Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    ok, I need another GB of Registered ECC mem and a couple of 500 GB SATA drives...

At your age you'd get a bigger thrill heading down to the shuffle board courts in Florida, or maybe sprinkle popcorn in your lap and feed pigeons

Which would you rather to have, 5lbs of Orville Redenbacher or the one way ticket ?

But if I had those I could watch a streaming video of you at the park...

"Orville Redenbacher or the one way ticket ?"

Make the correct choice and you can watch me live

then I get the parts?

that would be very nice of you, but I have to be honest, I don't know how to use Linux. Wouldn't like the rest of my computer go on strike or something? I'm going to go and read the section on Linux distros and see what I find out.
    Knowledge indeed is power;
    Wisdom is knowing whether or not to act on Knowledge.

Speech is
    silver,but silence is golden.....
    Blondie

that would be very nice of you, but I have to be honest, I don't know how to use Linux
    The Linux I would send is easy, you just push buttons like in windows. When you use Firefox or Opera browsers, aMSN and mail in Linux it looks the same as in windows, you won't even know your using Linux.

Besides, we'll help you learn the best of both worlds.

Gold Member
    FastGame---It appears that KAV AV also finds Spyware, because when I do a scan, it comes back with two or three items that it found, but it tells me thay are NOT viruses. ???

Quote Originally Posted by mike13 View Post
    FastGame---It appears that KAV AV also finds Spyware, because when I do a scan, it comes back with two or three items that it found, but it tells me thay are NOT viruses. ???
    Yes, under Protection settings there's boxes for "Virus, worms, Trojans, rootkits" then "Spyware, adware, Dialers" and then "Potentially dangerous software"

If it flags something as "NOT A Virus" and doesn't remove it, its up to you based on research if you want to remove it on your own.

Gold Member
    Hi FastGame- I see those three boxes that you mentioned under Settings etc, but the first box that has the "virus, worms, trojans, and rootkits" does have a checkmark in it, but it is grey. I assume that is OK. The other two boxes I can put a checkmark in. Many thanks for the tip on KAV. I had been using AVG free with bo problems, but have been running KAV now for a few days and haven't noticed any slowdown at all. I will be setting up a friends new Dell computer tomorrow. It comes with a 90 day Mcafee package, but I think I will remove it, and just use the Windows firewall, and then download KAV.