Thread: Buy or for Free?

Buy or for Free?

I would like to ask opinions on whether free software for anti-virus, anti-spyware/adware and firewalls is considered as good as buying something? Feature-wise they are mostly similar except that most free software doesn't include an 'always-running' tool to continually monitor what's going on; but that takes up so much CPU I don't want it anyway.

So is there any advantage to the commercial products?

The correct answer is
    it depends....

Your level of computer knowledge will determine what you can cope with. I think if you are not a keen surfer of dubious material then freeware is cool. Bitdefender free can be set to auto update and do a weekly scan as also can Clamwin. Clamwin has other advantages in a server situation too as it won't actually do anything to the virus and can email you notification.

Most virii do not slow a PC down half as much as the antivirus does, and a botched removal routine can disable the system!

Often the 'cure' is worse than the problem - see Norton Internet Security for details. You need to assess your level of competence first.
    1. I know nothing - go for a solution like F-Secure Internet security which is very good value.
    2. I am a seasoned campaigner - Freeware and common sense will do for you.
    3. I am a clever geeky type - probably don't need anything or just ProcessGuard will do fine.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Products such as Avast, AVG, are as good if not better than paid products such as Norton. Kerio makes an excellent firewall.

If any of you reads PC World, I remember they did thorough AV tests sometime ago, and the paid ones were clearly better than the free ones.

edit: Here's the page; you can read how they carried out the tests... http://www.pcworld.com/article/124475-1/article.html
    Last edited by hotmale; October 4th, 2006 at 17:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hotmale View Post
    the paid ones were clearly better than the free ones.[/url]
    Maybe for detecting lab viruses or floppy bootsector viruses from 1973, the free virus scanners nearly all have the 100% virus bulletin award - that's 100% of all in-the-wild viruses. It will be difficult to come across a virus that isn't in the wild.

I wonder whose adverts fund the mags?
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

I wonder whose adverts fund the mags?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I would conjecture that you don't even need a virus scanner or firewall if you use the built in windows firewall and don't download or visit "shady" sites.

Of paid or for free, either are fine. But like curio says some actually hinder performance more than they help defend the system.

I loathe norton/symantec products for that very reason.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I would recomend Avast for the speed.
    And McAfee for configuration options.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Avast! WebShield works dam good, AntiVir is now the tops in detection, AOL AVS is KAV good, BitDefender is always nipping heals with the best...so yes FREE can & does provide excellent protection.

I never tried AVG.

Avast and AVG are light and work just as well as paid, anybody know one thats as good and free for companies?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    ClamWin is free GNU General Public License (GPL). I think its only an on-demand scanner.