Thread: Disk checking has been cancelled - Win XP Pro SP2

Angry Disk checking has been cancelled - Win XP Pro SP2

Hi all

After having a scout about the internet for information on this very annoying problem, I am no further along than when I started. I am working on a clean install for a friend. As part of clean installs, I like to make sure that the check disk procedure (scheduled from within windows) is working properly. On this computer, which ONLY has basic SP2 (no patches yet) and drivers loaded, on an SiS-based motherboard with Sempron 2200 and 40GB Seagate HDD, when the computer restarts after going thru the check disk implementation (i.e. My Computer -> Right-click on C: -> Properties -> Tools -> Check Now -> Check both options -> Yes), as soon as the checking procedure starts it cancels. Now here's the interesting bit: if I boot onto the XP Pro SP2 install CD and go into the Recovery Console, I can run chkdsk to my heart's content! Not only that, but (this being the 2nd clean install on this machine in 2 days) each time I run chkdsk from the Recovery Console (using either /P or /R), chkdsk finds and fixes errors on 2 passes, then is clear on the 3rd. One might be forgiven for thinking that that would sort things for the windows-based version, but it doesn't.

The first time this happened on my P4 2.8, I was able to clear things up by going into the recovery console and running chkdsk from there. After that, the windows chkdsk worked as expected.

After the 1st clean install on this Sempron-based system, I noted that (using TuffTest Pro) there was an error on the HDD. So, I did a zero-fill of the whole drive, reformatted and did the 2nd clean install. I was figuring that if there was a REAL bung sector (not just one that needed a zero-fill), that this might be throwing the windows version of chkdsk off it's stride. Since the zero-fill fixed the "sector" problem, that doesn't seem to be the case.

What do you think? The system operates fine, and I can even run boot-time defrags with PerfectDisk (as well as manual chkdsk's thru Recovery Console) - still, it is a problem that needs to be sorted.

Thanks
    Peter

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    to be honest with how cheap hd are nowadays I would just toss the 40 gig and get a new hd. I mean is it really worth losing sleep or data over. since you can get a 160g usually for under a 100 bucks.

That may be an answer to the problem. However, now that the drive has been zero-formatted, there are no sector errors. Apart from chkdsk not wanting to run from Windows, the drive appears 100% ok. So, I'd rather find out what the problem is - I hate just putting something in the "don't know, too hard" basket. Also, my friend is not in a position to be able to afford another hdd - they've just shelled out NZ$240 for XP Pro, and that's the end of their IT budget for this year... anyway, 40GB is more than enough for what they use the machine for: they are an older couple near retirement, so there's no gaming or high-end stuff: just basic e-mailing, surfing, bookwork and a little photo-editing / printing of family etc.

Anyone else have an idea as to how I might resolve the issue without replacing the drive?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Hello Island_Boy

If you used the HD manufactures HD utilites and everything checks out ok, don't worry about "chkdsk", of coarse if XP runs into error problems you'll need something other than chkdsk to fix

All HD's have firmware (bios), all "chkdsk" (and other software) does is send a command to the HD bios and triggers the HD own repair function. Maybe something wrong with the bios and the chkdsk command ?????

If the HD has true physical sector damage, this can't be fixed. If the sector has magnetic surface damage this can be fixed.

HD's have spare unused sectors, if the damaged sector can't be fixed the HD's repair function flags/disables the damaged sector, then remaps the drive to one of the spare sectors. If the drive has so many damaged sectors then of coarse at some point you'll run out of spare sectors.

Ok back to you

If the drive checks out, installs XP and runs without error, runs PerfectDisk, then use the drive. Make an Image of the drive after eveything is installed and updated. Tell the people that no guaranty on how long the HD will last, and at some point will need as phishhead suggest, new HD.

If drive goes install the Image on new drive and be on your way